Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mdowney
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Downey

backups/reps fail with (temporarily) missing drive

Post by mdowney »

Hi, I opened a support case on this, but I thought other users might have some helpful information on this, too.

Veeam Support - Case # 05803709

Our virtual server has a drive, E:, that is stored as a .VHD on an iSCSI drive on the Hyper-V host server. The iSCSI drive is located on a NAS which has failed due to a power supply issue. Any backups and replications of this VM are failing while that NAS is offline. Is there a way to allow the C: and D: drives to continue to back up while E: is offline?

I would think that I could exclude drive E: for now, but once the drive is back online, if I were to remove the exclusion, will the backup continue from where it was before or will it need to restart with a full backup of the E: drive (whose contents will not have changed at all)?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: backups/reps fail with (temporarily) missing drive

Post by Mildur »

Hello Mike

Yes, exclusion can be done. In both cases after you remove the exclusion it will be an incremental job session.

Thanks,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mdowney
Influencer

Post by mdowney »

Thank you, Fabian.

This drive is on the Hyper-V SCSI Controller at Location 1, so I'm assuming that it's 0:1. I'll give it a try if I need to, but it looks like I might get a replacement NAS today, so hopefully I'll be back up and running soon without needing to make this change.

Thanks for your help!
mdowney
Influencer

Post by mdowney »

Just to follow up and close this out...

I received a replacement NAS this morning (pleasantly surprised by Synology!) and was able to get everything operating as normal again. The first replication after the repair ran fine and was still able to use Changed Block Tracking to finish the the normal amount of time.

Thanks again!