Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
spug100
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: spug

brand new install, VM backups work fine, ALL physical backups fail with timeout

Post by spug100 »

case no: 04302452

Hi. brand new install of B&R v10 on a dedicated physical 2016 Server. Install went fine. I have two physical servers I want to back up: a 2016 HyperV server with 3 VMs, and a SBS 2011 physical server. the 3 VMs backup fine, but both physical servers repeatedly fail after timeout. no other errors. both physical servers added fine, and are shown as online and installed within the “physical infrastructure”. I have trawled through all the logs and have found nothing of interest apart from:

“Checking remote agent is alive...” every few minutes

I am also getting a “IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied” On both target servers when the backup starts, but I have read up about this error and it says that this should not stop the backup job from running. I have also tried to run the vss service as the same domain administrator that has been specified from within the b&r server.

As mentioned, if I rescan the problem servers, they are still listed as "online and installed". I have disabled the firewall on both the backup server and the target server to no avail. I have also configured a backup which is very simple and does no application aware processing. Both servers can resolve each other's FQDN. Both are local on the same network. I cannot think of anything else.......

submitted all logs with the support case, but logs showing NOTHING of note!

spug100
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: spug

Re: brand new install, VM backups work fine, ALL physical backups fail with timeout

Post by spug100 »

i've been mucking about with various configs. If I try and create a physical backup of the Hyper-V host using "managed by agent" mode, I get the following error when trying to apply the policy/configuration to the agent: (don't know whether this helps?)
Failed to update backup job configuration.Sending backup job configuration
Failed to send backup job configuration to "Job Name" Error: Failed to update backup job Managed by agent job ID: fc84c1ee-fd37-496a-9a6d-1527971f6afd. Managed by agent job name: "Job Name". Invalid job configuration. Connection problems. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.0.11:10005
log file says:
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.0.237:10005 (Veeam.Backup.Common.CustomStackException)