Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ZTSDave
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Z

Can VBR and WSB both be used with same HyperV VMs?

Post by ZTSDave »

Hi all,

Can someone tell me if it's possible to run Windows Server Backup on Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, and 2016 HyperV guests (currently running nightly incremental backups) alongside Veeam Backup & Recovery?

If so, does it matter whether "Full Backup" or Full Copy" settings are used on WSB? Are there any other settings on WSB or VBR that should be considered in this situation?

There are reasons we still want to have Windows Server Backup running, and we want both solutions backing up the same VMs (at different times, obviously).

Sorry if this was asked before, but I couldn't find a definitive answer on the forums or elsewhere.

Thanks so much,
--Dave
ZTSDave
Novice

Re: Can VBR and WSB both be used with same HyperV VMs?

Post by ZTSDave »

As a followup, is it possible (or even preferable over the above situation) to use VAM inside a HyperV guest alongside VBR (running at different times, of course)?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Dave,

I never advice to run multiple, different, backup solutions. But if I understood it correctly, you are running Hyper-V backups with VBR (host-level backups) and inside guest WSB backups. That will actually be fine, on the condition that they don't run at the same time. Especially now with Hyper-V 2016 where the backup has changed dramatically. But do make sure that you are using that new method!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Dave,

I never advice to run multiple, different, backup solutions. But if I understood it correctly, you are running Hyper-V backups with VBR (host-level backups) and inside guest WSB backups. That will actually be fine, on the condition that they don't run at the same time. Especially now with Hyper-V 2016 where the backup has changed dramatically. But do make sure that you are using that new method!
ZTSDave
Novice

Post by ZTSDave »

Thanks so much for your reply. Could I instead use Veeam Agent inside the guest and VBR to backup entire VMs, assuming they don't run at the same time.

I have a case where a client wants the ability to access file level backups inside their hosted VMs, but I want to be able to perform full VBR backups for instant recovery should a guest or physical server fail.

Appreciate the help.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

That is indeed possible, same rules apply. The problem is that you don't want a double VSS snapshot to occur at the same time. While it technically does work (I have done this just for the fun to see what can go wrong...) it is not a good idea.
ZTSDave
Novice

Post by ZTSDave »

Perfect, thanks! They will be done at very different times, and now I have a solution that meets my client's needs to access file level backups themselves while letting me protect their full VMs. You saved me a load of worry.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Why not just use Enterprise Manager for your client? That way a single VM-level backup is all that's needed. As long as Enterprise Plus edition is used, you can delegate file-level restores to the client (based on their AD credentials) but not allow any other types of restores within EM. That's what I'd recommend rather than to do VM-level backup with VBR + agent backups.

Joe