CBT feature request

Hyper-V specific discussions

Re: CBT feature request

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm

I don't have any limits set for repositories. The "limit max concurrent tasks" and "limit combined data rate" settings on all the repositories are unchecked. The off-host backup proxy has a max of 14 concurrent tasks since the server has a single 14-core CPU. I only have 12 backup jobs with a lot more VMs per job (except for a couple of jobs that have unique settings for specific VMs). You might get better concurrency reducing the number of backup jobs with more VMs per job.

The throughput numbers seem low to me, but that is very much dependent on your environment. Unless there is very little change data, I typically see 500 MB/s or so throughput, occasionally it will be higher, once in awhile it hits 2 GB/s.
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 57 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:33 pm

chrisdearden wrote:I suspect it will be a feature of the next version of hyper v

You are right. Microsoft announced it at Ignite.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 396 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby collinp » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:07 pm

2 GB/s?? Wow. What does your source storage look like? That is where my bottleneck is.
collinp
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Collin P

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:54 pm

My primary storage is a 3x3 storage spaces system (3 SOFS nodes and 3 60-bay SAS JBODs). It is a tiered storage spaces system, so I assume it's reading blocks off the SSDs when it hits the higher throughput values. I also have a smaller secondary 2-node SOFS cluster which is attached to a SAS-based Dell PowerVault MD3220 with 24x 900GB 10K drives.

With SMB, the bottleneck "Source" in Veeam could be in a few different places:
- the physical disks
- the connection between the storage and the Scale Out File servers, particularly if it's iSCSI or Fiber Channel and not SAS
- the Scale Out File Servers themselves, particularly if they are older generation hardware that does not have PCIe 3.0 slots
- the SMB network, if it's not at least 10Gbps with 2 independent paths, using RDMA NICs also helps
- the Hyper-V hosts if you are doing on-host backups. Using an off-host backup proxy would definitely help
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 57 times

[MERGED] Feature Request - Change CBT mechanism in MS Cluste

Veeam Logoby Nail.Mukhametshin » Thu May 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi all!

As we know your CBT mechanism now don't work when any of Windows Failover Cluster node have troubles, have extended maintance period or working with PRO mechanism to save power. See this thread: https://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper-v-f25/cluster-change-block-tracking-t26725.html.

Now when we have one node down we experiense extreamly high load of Storage because on every backup Veeam reads all data of VHDs. From this point we cannot mantain cluster in backup time at all because of performance issues.

I assume that this mechanism needs some changes - it must work even nodes not accessible.

The best solution from my point is storing CBT data on cluster resources so this data can be accessible any time when cluster works fine.
Another solution - ability to recreate CBT data when node offline for a long time. So only first backup will reread all data and next backups will use CBT again.

Hope you put in on board.
Nail.Mukhametshin
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Наиль Мухаметшин

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 05, 2016 2:25 pm

This will be addressed by the native CBT mechanism introduced in Windows Server 2016.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Nail.Mukhametshin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi!

Server 2016 is out, so can you confirm that CBT will work now when some of nodes is down? Can you specify requirement for this workin fine?
Nail.Mukhametshin
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Наиль Мухаметшин

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:16 pm

Resilient CBT will work. But you need to wait for Veeam B&R 9.5.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V