Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
redgasgiant
Novice
Liked: never

Clarification: Application aware for File server that is using shadow copies??

Post by redgasgiant »

I'm asking this question because something recently broke(VSS writer errors), and now I'm wondering if I need Application Aware Processing at all(on my file server).

We back up our file server VM and had AAP turned on. (AAP is off now, otherwise the backup fails)
We also back up the actual share folder "M drive" as a Veeam "File Backup" every couple hours during the workday.

I'm not really finding clear direction of when to use AAP. It's obvious that exchange and SQL servers are on the list. But when I created the backup job for my File server and I saw the the checkbox for AAP I said eh why not cant hurt figuring that shadow copies fell under AAP.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Clarification: Application aware for File server that is using shadow copies??

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
VSS is better for file system consistency, but it's not needed in almost every case (I never heard of a failed restore because of missing VSS consistency, but there is no 100% guarantee. Well, is there ever a 100% guarantee in IT? :-)). If VSS broken and unfixable, then using VSS is not an option anyway as far as I see

It also looks like you are backing up your data twice, which reduces the chance of issues even more.

Best regards,
Hannes