Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
silversov
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Scott Taylor

Cluster Shared Volumes - Redirected Mode

Post by silversov »

Hi all,

We are using Veeam Backup and Replication 6.5 on a Hyper-V 2008 R2 Cluster with two nodes.

Recently I had an issue where a replication job placed one of the Cluster Shared Volumes in Redirected Mode, which in turn caused one of the hosts to lose connectivity to that volume. This resulted in all the VM's moving into a status of Saved - Critical. No failover occurred. To resolve this I stopped the replication job and restarted the host.

Has anyone else seen this occur? This could be a result of something else in the environment, however I thought I would throw this out there just in case someone else has experience with the same issue.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Cluster Shared Volumes - Redirected Mode

Post by veremin »

Hi, Scott.

I’m wondering what VSS provider is being used. Software or Hardware one? When software provider is used, CSV volume needs to be switched to redirected I/O mode until the backup/replication process is finished; though, it shouldn't cause any connectivity issue, since the traffic must go through the other cluster node.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, redirected mode should not cause any consequences apart from traffic redirection through CSV coordinator node, so probably something else is causing connectivity issues. I recommend to investigate this with technical support.
silversov
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Scott Taylor

Post by silversov »

Great. Thanks guys. Yes, software VSS provider is being used.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that this has something to do with the actual environment as the environment is something I have inherited (not entirely familiar with the environment as yet).

I'll work on replicating each VM seperately for testing purposes and see how that goes.

Thanks for your help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Don't hesitate to ask support for assistance, should the need come up.