Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dcampregher
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Diogo Campregher

Communication between Hyper-v and Repository

Post by dcampregher »

Hi.

In a specific infrastructure the Repository Server is in an dedicated network /30 when only the backup server have access to it( because the need to put the backup data in a more isolated possible ).

This configuration works fine when the source is VMware because the VBR is also the proxy server so all data pass over the VBR/Proxy until the Repository.

But in case if the source is Hyper-v the proxy is alsobthe Hyper-v server that don't have access to the /30 network of the repository. So the question is if is there some way to configure the Veeam to route/use the proxy on the VBR server?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Communication between Hyper-v and Repository

Post by PTide »

Hi,

You can specifically assign an off-host proxy role to your VBR server. Please check these steps.

Thanks!
dcampregher
Service Provider

Post by dcampregher »

Hello.

My VBR server is a VM running inside the Hyper-v Cluster.
The off-host proxy will work even being a VM?
dcampregher
Service Provider

Post by dcampregher »

I am thinking to do this: Enable the routing services in the VBR server ( it has the two networks configured) and in the Hyper-v servers I will put a static route to the IP of the VBR server when for the /30 IP address of the Repository.
WorkingHardInIt
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Didier Van Hoye

Post by WorkingHardInIt »

Please see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4 for Hyper-V VMs on CSV (SAN). Now I have no tried configuring this with virtual FC or guest iSCSI but I think you'll need this to be able to use transportable snapshots. Since the idea is to off load the Hyper_V hosts the requirement to have dedicated servers makes sense. I normally use the repository servers for this use case as than the mounted transportable SAN snapshots can move data to the local backup repository storage
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Didier is spot on - off-host proxy has to be a physical machine. Although you can assign the role to a VM, it is not recommended to use virtual off-host proxies for in the production.

Thanks!