Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Rabbit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julia

Community Edition

Post by Rabbit »

Hi experts, we have a host with four virtual machines. I installed the VEEAM COMMUNITY EDITION. When configured, only the host is backed up. How to add the four virtual s to the backup jobs? Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Community Edition

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

It is a configuration issue.
- Did you add your host as Hyper-V Standalone type or just plain managed Windows type? Should be 1st option to get expected result.
- What kind of Backup job was used : Hyper-V VM backup job, or Windows Server backup? Should be 1st option as well.
/Cheers!
Rabbit
Novice

Post by Rabbit »

Thank you! I have got everything configured and when the backup finished, it had an error: Unable to perform guest file system indexing: failed to connect to guest agent.
In the schedule job, I did not set up the portion of the GUEST PROCESSING. So I deleted the job and recreated the scheduled job. This time I configured the Guest Processing and when I tested it, nothing passed with all the errors. When the backup jobs started for one second, it stopped.
Please advise! Thank you!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Well if guest processing test fails, in most of the cases it is either due to ports lock via firewall or permissions issue of account used in the process.
/Thanks
Rabbit
Novice

Post by Rabbit »

If the guest Processing is not configured, does it affect the backup data? Thank you!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Guest processing disabled makes so called Crash-Consistent backup, meaning applications inside do not know about backup and might not be ready for it. It is like pulling a power plug from a server - static data most likely be ok, but running transactions will fail and potentially could cause corruptions. It is a good idea to fix guest processing errors.
/Cheers!
Rabbit
Novice

Post by Rabbit »

The firewall is off in the host, and so the ports are not locked, is it right? Normally which ports are used for guest processing? Regarding the permission, the user account is the administrator. Please advise how to get the guest processing set up correctly? Which checkbox needs to be checked in this tab? Appreciate it!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Firewall on guest OS matters most (Veeam to Guest communication). Check Required Ports link 3 posts above. Job shall be set like this.
/Cheers!
Barry Ricoh
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by Barry Ricoh » 1 person likes this post

I have had the same Problem.
i can resolve it by turning on Network discovery in the Guest machine.