Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
hmvink
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hans Maarten Vink

Configure dedicated 10Gb NIC's for replication

Post by hmvink »

I have to Hyper-V Hosts each equipped with a 10Gb NIC with a Cross-Over CAT6 cable just for replication in a separate subnet. I want to Replicate between these hosts over this deicated NIC but can't figure out how to configure VEEAM for this. Does anyone have a suggestion?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Configure dedicated 10Gb NIC's for replication

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community!

That depends on which scenario are you going to stick with. The very basic replication scenario with Hyper-V involves two on-host proxies that serve as datamovers. In this case all the data flows directly between two Hyper-V hosts. You can specify the priority for data transfer.

Thank you.
hmvink
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hans Maarten Vink

Post by hmvink »

In my scenario both servers have multiple NICS the Office LAN is on another subnet than the 10Gb NIC's. I want to use the 10GB NIC's only for replication, not for backup. So how do I configure VEEAM B&R to use the 10GB NIC's just for replication? Backups first go to storage on the Office LAN and then to tape. So there is also a difference between Backups and Replication.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Sorry, not sure what you mean - there is a "Prefer the following networks for backup and replication traffic" check box in "Preferred Networks" settings. Those settings affect both backup and replication jobs.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You could explicitly select the off-host proxy that resides in the 10GB network in the replication job.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 113 times

[MERGED] Dedicated NIC for replication

Post by matteu »

Hello,

My customer has only 1Gb switch on his infrastructure and I would like to use replication between 2 Hyper-V node.
I can direct attach them with 10GB nic in each server
I also use the first one for backup to a NAS with 1Gb link.

I would like to know if there is a solution to use one NIC for Backup (1Gb) and the 10Gb for replication ?

I can't use prefered network because it's for backup AND replication.

Thank you for your answer :)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
an off-host proxy idea, was posted above. But I would avoid off-host proxies. Too much complexity. Buying a 10G switch is probably cheaper than doing something with an off-host proxy.

Maybe link aggregation (more 1G links) on the backup LAN could be an alternative. I would probably just invest in 10G. It's not that expensive in 2022.

Best regards,
Hannes
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Hello,

My question was about Veeam product :) but I have the answer now, there is no solution built in the product to solve the issue
johnwatson
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: John Watson

Post by johnwatson »

@Matteu

If I understand you, you have a Peer 2 Peer (p2p) connection going between two Hosts and you want replication to go between 2 hosts via the p2p connection.

You can update the host file on each Host.
e.g. Host A Peer Nic IP: 10.10.1.4 and Host B Peer Nic IP: 10.10.1.5

In the host file on each host I would add an entry (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\Hosts)
Host file on Host A would have line entry of: 10.10.1.5 Host B ( Where "Host B" is the name of that host server)
Host file on Host B would have line entry of: 10.10.1.5 Host A ( Where "Host A" is the name of that host server)

Then I would do a ipconfig /flushdns and verify that its configured the way you want by pinging Host A and Host B from the other Host server. To make sure its pinging the p2p Nic.

You can also transfer a file to the other server and in task manager the p2p connection should show activity now.
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Hello,
The issue un your solution is backup will also use the direct link and I don t want it...
I need to use one Nice for backup and an other for replication.