Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cre8toruk
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Confused of Dorset

Post by cre8toruk »

Hi All,

first up, apologies... I know there's about 20 billion posts about this (I'm sure).
I'm trying to setup a backup copy job... I'm really struggling with the whole restore points to keep etc etc....

I have a standard Hyper-V vm backup with a retention point policy of 30 points.
I need to create a backup copy job, and I'd like to store 10 yearly copies and the last 6 monthly copies...

So the backup copy job screen shows me;
Restore Points to Keep;
Weekly Backup
Monthly
Quarterly
Yearly

So am I right in thinking that the 30 restore points refer the last 30 any backup (incremental / full) jobs ? i.e. a month of backups (so long as I'm backing up every day) ?
If I set the monthly backup to 60 does that give me the last 6 months as full backups ?
If I set the yearly backup to 10 does that give me the last 10 years as full backups ?

thanks in advance,

Paul.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Confused of Dorset

Post by jmmarton »

The restore points to keep on the BCJ is separate from the long term archiving settings. Think of it this way: if you take daily backups, then this is the # of days you're keeping backups on the secondary repository. This is separate from the retention defined in the primary job for your primary repository. For the long term archiving, if you set the month setting to 60 then you will have monthly backups for 60 months (5 years). Sounds like you want this set to 6, not 60. And yes setting it to 10 means you will have a yearly backup for the last 10 years. And each of those (monthly & yearly) is a full backup.

Joe