Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jmgal
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alan Moon

Defrag and Compact over WAN

Post by jmgal »

I have a Veeam for Hyper-V Backup Copy job that copies my daily backup over a WAN to one of our branch offices.

When I turn on Full Backup File Maintenance in the job, maintenance seems to execute very slowly.

Is this expected when the Backup server and the target storage are separated by a WAN? I'm concerned that during the maintenance I am reading blocks over the WAN and writing them back over the WAN to build a defragmented file.

Should install a backup server on the remote site or set up a proxy?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Defrag and Compact over WAN

Post by foggy »

Hi Alan, it depends on the target repository type. If it is, say, Windows repository, then it is capable of compacting locally. In case of CIFS, you need a gateway server on the remote side to keep traffic there. Thanks!
jmgal
Novice

Post by jmgal »

Thanks foggy. It's an SMB NAS.
What's a gateway server? Do I just install the Veeam Backup and Replication Console on a server in the branch and run the Copy job from it?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No need to install the console there but just select that server as a gateway in the repository settings. That server will handle all communication with the storage allowing for optimal data transfer between the remote sites.
jmgal
Novice

Post by jmgal »

Thank you foggy.

Is this even necessary on a copy job? Target\Advanced Settings is says "Use these settings to defragment and compact full backup file periodically when the job schedule does not include periodic fulls". However, there isn't an option to schedule periodic fulls.

Does this refer to the job schedule of the source backup that is being copied? If so, I take a weekly full there, so I guess I can skip maintenance on the copy.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Alan,

Yes, the use of the Gateway component is the recommended option in the case with copy jobs targeting SMB share.

As for the "Defragment and compact full backup file" setting, the UG section talks about periodic full backups created by the GFS retention mechanism.

Thanks