Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
ejenner
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: EJ

Direct SAN + Hyper-V

Post by ejenner » Jan 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Just looking to set up a direct storage access backup for Hyper-V but can't find the documentation describing how to do it.

I can only find the VMware document: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Is there a Hyper-V version of this functionality? Where are the instructions.

nmdange
Expert
Liked: 88 times

Re: Direct SAN + Hyper-V

Post by nmdange » Jan 07, 2019 3:20 pm 1 person likes this post

Backup proxies work quite differently in Hyper-V vs. VMWare. In the default on-host proxy with Hyper-V, the Hyper-V host is what accesses your storage, and then sends it to your backup repository. How an off-host proxy works will depend on whether you are using CSVs with iSCSI/Fiber Channel/SAS or SMB file shares to present your storage to your Hyper-V cluster.

For an off-host proxy with CSVs, your storage vendor must provide a hardware VSS provider to allow the storage snapshots to be mounted by the off-host proxy. This means it is up to the hardware vendor to provide functionality, Veeam does not do anything specific on their end.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

In case of SMB file share, the off-host proxy just need to have access to the file share.

With Hyper-V 2016, I'd probably just stick with the on-host proxy when you are using CSVs since Hyper-V 2016 no longer takes a snapshot of the host volume unless you use an off-host proxy. So there are some advantages to just using the on-host proxy.

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software
Liked: 542 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » Jan 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Nmdange is correct. The way VMware versus Hyper-V works is indeed different. Depending on the version of Hyper-V you are using, I would suggest to look into offhost proxy (if your SAN vendor has a Hardware VSS provider (pre- 2016 Hyper-V) or an onhost (hyper-v 2016)

ejenner
Expert

Post by ejenner » Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm

yep, getting some of the knowledge on this now.

Cannot find a source for downloading HPE 3PAR VSS Provider anywhere. :(

So if you're using VMware there is a Veeam document... if it's Hyper-V that a secret, or is there documentation for it? :lol:

PTide
Veeam Software
Liked: 386 times

Post by PTide » Jan 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Cannot find a source for downloading HPE 3PAR VSS Provider anywhere.
Aren't they (HPE) providing it via their website?

And no, it's not a secret at all, it's just really well hidden :)

Thanks!

jhoughes
Veeam Software
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Post by jhoughes » Jan 07, 2019 7:45 pm

This should get you to the provider bits: https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swde ... S_Provider

The download link is on the left & titled 'Electronic Download', I missed it myself the first time due to color scheme with a night mode extension.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | vExpert | Cisco Champion | Tech Field Day Delegate | VCP 4/5/6 | VCP6-NV | VMware/Cisco UCS/Powershell/VEEAM Enthusiast

ejenner
Expert

Post by ejenner » Jan 08, 2019 9:26 am

Not enough caffeine. I saw that page several times yesterday. I think I was looking for a button which said 'download'. Thanks for the help.

ejenner
Expert

Post by ejenner » Jan 08, 2019 9:38 am

PTide, I've been to the main Veeam Hyper-V documentation site but couldn't find anything for connecting with a 3Par.

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Post by Mike Resseler » Jan 08, 2019 10:41 am

Ejenner,

We haven't indeed listed the different hardware VSS providers separately in our documentation because they all act the same way and should be threated like that.
The hardware providers comes for the vendors (as you have found them now :-)). Just one final tip. Check very well the documentation of the vendor to see that the provider matches your firmware. I have heard about mismatches in the past causing the system to fail
Cheers
Mike

ejenner
Expert

Post by ejenner » Jan 11, 2019 10:29 am

Ok, it's taken a while with other things getting in the way but I've managed to find and install the VSS provider driver.

One additional question I have is about the requirement for your OS versions to be consistent. I ordered the proxy server to be built with 2016 when our Hyper-V environment is 2012 as I hadn't decided on the use for the server until after it had been built.

Was the requirement for consistent versions established at a time when problems could be caused by attempting to back up a 2012 environment with a 2008 server? And was it because of a risk of corruption or functionality problems or because it literally does not work? Or in other words, will I have to get my server rebuilt with 2012 or might it work ok as a 2016 server?

PTide
Veeam Software
Liked: 386 times

Post by PTide » Jan 11, 2019 2:42 pm

The requirement starts from times when different versions of Hyper-V VSS writers were not quite compatible. Unfortunately, you'll need to rebuild either of the servers for the OS versions to match, because VBR filters available proxies by OS versions.

Thanks!

ejenner
Expert

Post by ejenner » Jan 14, 2019 9:37 am

Oh, ok. So even though it may not still be an issue it won't work because there is a precautionary block in place within Veeam.

ejenner
Expert

Post by ejenner » Jan 17, 2019 5:14 pm

This is as far as I've managed to get. I can't find any documentation explaining how to do what I'm doing... so poking around in the dark hoping I'll find what I'm looking for.

I'm at the point where everything seems to be in place but when trying to backup I get: "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: There is no hardware provider for off-host backup detected. Snapshot failover is disabled."

In the Manage Volumes section under Backup Infrastructure, Managed Servers... there is a edit button which brings up a drop-down box for selecting your VSS provider. I'm guessing the fact that I can't see "HP 3PAR VSS Provider" in the list is exactly the reason why the job won't complete.

Does anyone know what the steps are for ensuring the HP 3PAR VSS Provider appears in the list? That's if I'm looking in the right place. If not, what should I do to resolve the issue?

Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Post by Mike Resseler » Jan 18, 2019 6:27 am

Did you install the provider on all Hyper-v hosts and offhost proxies?

ejenner
Expert

Post by ejenner » Jan 18, 2019 8:55 am

No, I only installed it on the off-host proxy.

So it has to go on the machine hosting the VMs as well?