Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
vuser
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Harald Duftschmied

Disk-Exclusion for single VM in job causes backup to fail

Post by vuser »

Hi everyone,

I'm running a daily backup for our VMs on Hyper-V. So the job itself is working fine, but not for a single machine:
A VM running Windows Server 2012 got a second partition for WSUS (ISCSI 0:1). Now when I run the backup without excluding the second disk, everything works fine. If I set the exclusion, i get the following error in the job history (just for the mentioned vm):
Processing <machine-name> Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Version of Veeam Backup & Replication is 9.0.0.1491

I appreciate any help - thanks in advance :)

best regards,
Harald
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Disk-Exclusion for single VM in job causes backup to fai

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community!
A VM running Windows Server 2012 got a second partition for WSUS (ISCSI 0:1)
Is that a typo or the VM is connected to the partition via iSCSI? Also please include your support case ID when posting about technical issues.

Thanks.
vuser
Novice

Post by vuser »

Hi PTide and thanks for your reply. This is my support-id: 00660577
ISCSI 0:1 means the disk-order set in the hyper-v machine-settings - in fact it's a VHDX-Disk.

best regards,
Harald
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

That ID led me to an old case dated Oct. 2014. Could you please double check the ID?
ISCSI 0:1 means the disk-order set in the hyper-v machine-settings - in fact it's a VHDX-Disk.
Actually there are "SCSI" nodes in Hyper-V settings, not iSCSI, that's why I got confused. Not a big deal, nevermind. :)
vuser
Novice

Post by vuser »

I dont think this case is related to any older support-case, but if you provide a link I'll be able to tell you more.
You are right - i meant "SCSI" and not "ISCSI".

On more thing: The logfiles are telling that the repository isn't ready (just for that single machine).
Any ideas ? Or is that maybe already a know error ?

best regards,
Harald
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

The case ID you've posted is related to an Instant Recovery issue in a vSphere infrastructure, not to Hyper-V exclusions. The only support case that I've managed to find is the one that you'd (presumeably) opened today at 1:54 using email h****d@d*****n.ch. Is that the case you're referring to? If so then please explain where did you get that ID from, as I'd like to make sure that it's not a bug in the ticket system. Could you please tell me the name of the support engineer that you talked to?
On more thing: The logfiles are telling that the repository isn't ready (just for that single machine).
Have you checked repository load control settings?

Thanks
vuser
Novice

Post by vuser »

The case you mean is related to a company I worked before - different country and different infrastructure :)
I'll check the repository load control settings and let you all know as soon as I got some new results.

best regards,
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

The case you mean is related to a company I worked before - different country and different infrastructure
You should open a new case if you want our support team to address the disk-exclusion issue.

Thanks