Equallogic On Latest Firmware-Volume Snapshots Not Deleting

Hyper-V specific discussions

Re: Equallogic On Latest Firmware-Volume Snapshots Not Delet

Veeam Logoby estark » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:39 pm

It seems like this is a problem with Dell Equallogic HIT Kit 4.6. After working for a day with Dell, it seems like they have two documented bugs regarding the removal of snapshots with HIT Kit 4.6 which is required for PS Firmware 7.0.1. There is a problem with VEEAM and DPM (and I think others) where the programs are unable to set snapshots offline and delete them. There first documented this at the end of January and are planning to address this in the next HIT Kit scheduled to be released on February 28. Bugzilla has this bug reported as #60369 according to Dell.
estark
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby matt306 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Even though Dell are saying it's HIT kit related I think it's only half the issue. When we were running 6.0.4 with HIT 4.6 on a 2012R2 Cluster it didn't have any problems removing the snapshots. The issue only presented itself once 7.0.1 was installed. I think they've added some of the code back in for 7.0.2 but are relying on the HIT to provide the correct syntax to the SAN, which is why we have to wait for 4.7
matt306
Influencer

Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Matthew Brown

Veeam Logoby ryanpsulion » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:42 pm

So glad we went ahead and updated all of are arrays to 7.0.1 and HIT 4.6 two weekends ago in anticipation for Veeam deployment. To only learn we now have hundreds of online snapshots that are not being trimmed at all. Superb!
ryanpsulion
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Levins

Veeam Logoby matt306 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 am

Ryan - Other people are leaving their snapshots and configuring the Equallogic to remove the oldest one once the volume runs out of snapshot reserve. We are deleting ours manually as we had a number of CSV pauses/disconnects once the snapshot reserve was consumed. However we were still getting pause/disconnects outside of the backup window, just not as frequently (or cluster breaking). We turned ODX off and since doing so have not had any further CSV problems. I suspect that if I left the snapshots we wouldn't have a problem, but it's not the sort of environment to be testing that hypothesis!
matt306
Influencer

Veeam Logoby matt306 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 pm

From a Dell Employee:
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... 43118.aspx

4.7 is due out very soon. That should help.

There was a change made to 7.0.x firmware based on customer feedback. If a snapshot is online or online with connections then don't just delete it. There were cases when customers were running from a snapshot and a schedule max keep or to reclaim snapshot reserve would delete that active snapshot. When VSS goes to delete the snapshot, it's not putting it offline first, preventing the snapshot from being deleted.

Looking at the thread it also affects MS DPM users. It probably affects Symantec V-Ray customers too (if you can find any).
matt306
Influencer

Veeam Logoby matt306 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:14 pm

HIT kit 4.7 EPA was released on 27/02:

https://eqlsupport.dell.com/support/dow ... px?id=2425

From the release notes:

Miscellaneous

• The EqualLogic VSS Hardware Provider now properly deletes snapshots created by third-party backup applications.

I would say that it's an EPA so probably best not to use in production, but given the recent quality in SAN firmware and HIT kit, it's perhaps no more risky than a GA release.
matt306
Influencer

Veeam Logoby matt306 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:12 pm

We've just tested a single VM backup using hit 4.7 EPA with the SAN on 7.0.1 and it's removed the snapshot \o/
matt306
Influencer

Veeam Logoby kennocha » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 pm

matt306 wrote:We've just tested a single VM backup using hit 4.7 EPA with the SAN on 7.0.1 and it's removed the snapshot \o/

Dell advised me the other day to roll to 4.7 EPA because of this. It is fully supported by Dell and the guy assured me 70 different ways it would work fine.

We shall see in tonight's job!
kennocha
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stephen Carter

Veeam Logoby matt306 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm 1 person likes this post

We've been running 4.7 EPA for just under a week now on our production environment (as it is fully supported by Dell).

Pleased to say that snapshots are removed and the occasional blip where it wouldn't online a snapshot is also gone.

Result!
matt306
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks for taking your time to test and update us on the results.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby bullerj » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:26 pm 1 person likes this post

I know this has already been solved, but wanted to share a solution I use after each job. It helps keep the snapshots cleaned up. I create this PS script and run it after the backup job finishes.(Post job activity)

Code: Select all
powershell.exe -Noninteractive -File "C:\PS Scripts\Delete_Snapshots.ps1"
****Script***
$date = Get-Date -format M.d.yyyy
$file = "c:\PS Scripts\logs\DeleteSnap_$date`.txt"
$GrpAddr = "192.168.1.1"
$VolNames = @("HyperVCluster-Vol1", "HyperVCluster-Vol2", "HyperVCluster-Vol3", "HyperVCluster-Vol4", "HyperVCluster-Vol5", "HyperVCluster-Vol6")

Import-Module "c:\program files\EqualLogic\bin\EqlPSTools.dll"

Connect-EqlGroup -GroupAddress $GrpAddr -UserName "Skippy" -Password "MyPassword" -ignoreSavedCredentials | out-file $file

foreach ($VolName in $VolNames) {
   Get-EqlSnapshot -GroupAddress $GrpAddr -VolumeName $VolName |Sort-Object CreationTimeStamp -descending | Select-Object SnapshotName |Set-EqlSnapshot -VolumeName $VolName -OnlineStatus offline| out-file -append $file
   Remove-EqlSnapshot -VolumeName $VolName | out-file -append $file
   }
****Script***
bullerj
Lurker

Full Name: Jordan Buller

Veeam Logoby houstek » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 am 1 person likes this post

Correction :

Code: Select all
$date = Get-Date -format M.d.yyyy
$file = "c:\jobs\log\DeleteSnap_$date`.txt"
$GrpAddr = "192.168.1.xxx"
$VolNames = @("Lun-Prod-1", "Lun-Prod-2")

Import-Module "c:\program files\EqualLogic\bin\EqlPSTools.dll"

Connect-EqlGroup -GroupAddress $GrpAddr -UserName "toto" -Password "mypass" -ignoreSavedCredentials | out-file $file
foreach ($VolName in $VolNames) {
   Write-host $VolName
   Get-EqlSnapshot -GroupAddress $GrpAddr -VolumeName $VolName |Sort-Object CreationTimeStamp -descending | Select-Object SnapshotName |Set-EqlSnapshot -GroupAddress $GrpAddr -VolumeName $VolName -OnlineStatus offline| out-file -append $file
   Remove-EqlSnapshot -GroupAddress $GrpAddr -VolumeName $VolName | out-file -append $file
   }

houstek
Lurker

Previous

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V