Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ratherman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John Rather

Essentials license question...

Post by ratherman »

I want to backup two large servers at two different locations - I plan on installing a Hyper-V server on Dell hardware at both locations with a large storage repository (50+ TB). To confirm, I can have two locations and two instances of Veeam Backup Essentials - I am only backing up two large servers - so that would only take 2 of my 5 licenses - is that correct? Each instance of Essentials would use the same license? Anyone see a problem with this strategy? I am currently using Unitrends appliances and I am running out of space (and Unitrends hardware is expensive).
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Essentials license question...

Post by Mildur »

Hi John
I am only backing up two large servers - so that would only take 2 of my 5 licenses - is that correct?
I hope I get it right.

I assume you want to backup the vms on the hyperv server with a vm backup job. Each vm with a backup takes one of the licenses of your essential license.

Doing an agent backup of the physical hyperv host for protecting each vm is not a good approach and it‘s not recommended. You will not have the possibility to use Veeam Guest File or Applixation Item Restores. And you can‘t use Veeam's Application Aware processing.
To confirm, I can have two locations and two instances of Veeam Backup Essential
Two Essential Licenses per Customer is not allowed, if I remember correctly. As a single customer, you can only own one Essentials License from veeam.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Essentials license question...

Post by veremin »

I believe it's a single license which is installed on two backup servers. If combined consumption (from both backup servers) fits the single license limit, I think it should be OK.

But it's better to reach your sales representative and clarify these questions with him or her.

Thanks!