Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
fsr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fernando Rapetti

Exchange 2007

Post by fsr »

Hi,

I know that Exchange 2007 isn't supported anymore, but as that version of Exchange has VSS writers, will a full VM restore be application-consistent, or just crash-consistent?

Regards
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Exchange 2007

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

I guess you could review the logs of a backup of this system to see if it is using VSS? If the VSS fails it will state in the log that it is doing a crash consistent backup instead.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Fernando and welcome to the community!

It should be application-consistent backup, since it has VSS backup support.
The Exchange 2007 isn't supported by Microsoft you mean? Thanks!
fsr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fernando Rapetti

Post by fsr »

Thanks for the answers.
It's just that in the last Veeam version, Exchange 2007 isn't listed anymore on "VSS-aware applications": https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... 95u4#guest

Still, i see this kind of messages on the eventlog of the Exchange server during the backup:
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has prepared for backup successfully.
  • Information Store (3272) Shadow copy instance 6 starting. This will be a Copy shadow copy.
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance 6) has successfully prepared the database engine for a full or copy backup of storage group 'First Storage Group'. The following 1 databases are mounted and will be backed up: Mailbox Database
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has prepared for Snapshot successfully.
  • Information Store (3272) Shadow copy instance 6 freeze started.
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has frozen the storage group(s) successfully.
  • Information Store (3272) Shadow copy instance 6 freeze ended.
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has thawed the storage group(s) successfully.
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has processed the post-snapshot event successfully.
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has successfully completed the copy or differential backup of storage group 'First Storage Group'.
  • Information Store (3272) Shadow copy instance 6 completed successfully.
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has processed the backup completion event successfully.
  • Exchange VSS Writer (instance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has processed the backup shutdown event successfully.
  • The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.
That looks good to me, and i don't see any warnings from Veeam during the backup process, but if i select the VM in "Inventory", there is no option to restore individual items in Exchange (in fact, Exchange isn't listed at all there).

So, does the lack of support for this version of Exchange means that i will just be unable to restore individual items, or that the backup isn't really application-consistent, and there is risk of getting a damaged mailbox database after restore? Should i play safe and do a cold backup here? (is that possible? I'm just evaluating Veeam, don't know a lot about it yet).

Regards
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hey Fernando,

I've discussed your question with the responsible QA team.
Since the Exchange 2007 isn't supported it won't be processed by Veeam, but at least it should be crash-consistent. Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

It actually will even be application consistent. The VSS will be called and Exchange will be "frozen" so the backup is good. You will be able to do a full VM restore. In fact, you even can do item-level recovery, get the EDB file (and associated needed files) out of that VM and use it as a base to connect it to another mailbox Exchange 2007 server.

We won't be able to use our explorers to do item-level recovery because the way Exchange 2007 works (it is kind of old :-)). But you still will be able to recover. One note, with my experience on EXCH 2007, ideally you do a full VM restore... Not copying the databases and connect them to another mailbox server. EXCH 2007 never was good at that :-(