Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dharwood
Lurker
Liked: never

Failed to launch Linux FLR appliance on Hyper-V

Post by dharwood »

In reference to support case ID: #03860172

Hello,

I am testing Veeam restore and have had good success with Windows VM clients, but am having trouble with a Linux VM client and was looking for some pointers. Hopefully I came to the right place? I can see the restore process starting and the "appliance" files being created that the HD image will be attached to, but it fails to launch the FLR appliance due to privilege issues. I am struggling to understand what privileges might be missing. It is creating the files for the appliance without issue, so those privileges are OK. It successfully executed the backup, so the privileges needed to access the Hyper-V host are OK. The account has "administrator" privileges at both the domain and local levels (The Hyper-V host is joined to the domain). I feel like there is something basic that I have configured incorrectly, but honestly everything else has worked flawlessly so I feel good that I have it mostly correct.

Thanks in advance for any advice on what to look for.
Dan.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Failed to launch Linux FLR appliance on Hyper-V

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Please understand, that the forum does not replace support. As far as I can see, you did not attach log files to the case. So they will not be able to help you
any advice on what to look for.
please attach log files to the case. everything else is just "guessing"

Although you state, that you have admin permissions... I guess that you have a permission issue. You can test instant VM recovery first. That requires similar permissions.

Best regards,
Hannes
dharwood
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by dharwood »

I have tested Instant VM Recovery and all restoring to a new location/name. Both worked.

When doing the FLR restore, I see the FLR_XXXXX VM get created in Hyper-V in status "Off"...and then it disappears (presumably due to the error). Does FLR restore the VHDX to a new location before attaching...or does it try to attach it from the backup media? (USB drive in my case)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

FLR works directly from a backup file. Please continue looking into this with the help of your support engineer.