Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Schmoo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig Austin

Fatal Installation Error

Post by Schmoo »

Support Case: 06099179 (Ticket older than a week now, no response yet)

I am a long-time user and reseller of Veeam. I'm trying to install the Community Edition for one of my customers locations. The primary location has a paid license of VBR. Using the Community Edition at another location as a proof of concept and will purchase if needed. (long story)

During install Step 2 of 7 I'm given a Fatal Installation Error. I tried looking in the logs but since there are over 25 log files, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I do see a bunch of 1603 errors.

Since this happens soon after the PostGre options selection, I'm thinking it might be PostGre problem so I install SQLExpress. Rerun the setup and get a permissions error when it tries to configure the database - I muck around in SQL and give the SYSTEM account all the Server Roles. This allows the the installation to create the Veeam instance and get past that point but the Fatal Error appears shortly afterwards.

Windows Server 2019 Standard, fully patched
It is a Hyper-V server but doing the install on the Host.
Not domain joined, using the local Administrator account.

After the install blows up, most of the Veeam icons haven't been created yet but the Veeam B&R Configuration Database utility is present and runs without errors taking to the SQL database so that makes me think this may not be a database issue but I don't know.

Suggestions anyone?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Fatal Installation Error

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, for Community Edition we provide support only on best effort for our free user and community edition users. Support cases from customers with active maintenance contracts are prioritized.

I would search with notepad++ or any other tool that has "find in files" and search for the error 1603.

Best regards,
Hannes
PS: installing Backup & Replication directly on the Hyper-V host is unsupported. It must be installed in a VM. Yes, I know that it usually works, but it's not allowed by Microsoft to install applications on a Hyper-V host
sjameel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sharif Jameel

Re: Fatal Installation Error

Post by sjameel »

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this? I have the exact same issue.