Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
charbelIrany
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Charbel Irany

Feature Request

Post by charbelIrany »

Dears,

Kindly note that we were trying to configure Veeam to send emails via hotmail SMTP but it didn't work since Veeam only offers one method of encrypting transfer which is SSL. ( a case was opened with same result case 03104922)

Can you kindly include other methods of encryption in your next development such as STARTTLS and TLS.

Regards,
Charbel
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Charbel,

First: Welcome to our forums!

Second: Thank you for your feature request. TLS is the successor of SSL and is still mostly named as SSL. What type of configuration are you using? Are you using a @hotmail.something address that requires a specific security? I have used hotmail and outlook.com addresses before without any issues
luckman212
Novice

[MERGED] STARTTLS for email notifications?

Post by luckman212 »

I'm trying out Veeam B&R v11.0.1.1261 for a small Hyper-V environment.

It seems extremely powerful... I would say somewhat overwhelming for a new user as far as the sheer number of checkboxes and options available. Something like a "best-practices analyzer" to alert users for common footguns would be a boon.

A couple of small nitpicks so far:

1) no STARTTLS support for email notifications? My email provider (Fastmail) requires STARTTLS and does not accept unencrypted email at all, so I had to use a 3rd party (Mailgun) to send alerts which was a bit of a pain. Hope this gets added.

2) I could not figure out how to trigger a script upon successful backup only? If this option doesn't exist, it is strongly needed- I saw some posts from years ago where people were using custom PowerShell scripts to do this but TBH this should be a native feature.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

For 1) Was the SSL option not sufficient for the Fastmail service (can be enabled behind the advanced button)? Even documentation says to use SSL or TLS with smtp.fastmail.com port 465 as default config.

For 2) Can you please share what exactly you want to do with it? There are some ways to achieve what you want to do.
luckman212
Novice

Post by luckman212 »

Thanks Andreas

Hmm I see what you mean - I looked at the Fastmail docs as well and it seems like they should support plain SSL - but when I tried it, no combination of ports would work. I tried 465, 587, and 25 - with and without the SSL checkbox but could not get it to connect. So maybe that's just a provider-specific edge case with Veeam. Is there any logfile that shows the SMTP communication log? might be useful.

for 2) my use case is simple- I use Healthchecks.io as a "dead mans switch" status page for various backups. So I want to run a small script that just hits their API upon success for a backup job. It just needs to be a small batch or powershell file that makes a cURL or invoke-webrequest to a specific URL.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Log files are within C:\programdata\Veeam... I would just sort it by the latest change after sending a test mail.

Did you enabled authentication as well for the mail setting.
It should be SSL checkbox enabled smtp.fastmail.com port 465 as well as authentication enabled with a valid user. You can check if you can connect with it from a mail client.
Make sure that you firewalls do not block this communication as this port is usually blocked by default to avoid issues.
luckman212
Novice

Post by luckman212 »

I am looking for the SMTP log but there are dozens of files & subfolders in that folder... can you point me in the right direction for where to find the logfile containing the SMTP transactions?