Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
smurteira
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Sergio Murteira

Feature Request - User Roles

Post by smurteira »

We have a need at our company to grant our Backup team rights to create backup jobs and run them but not restore. The current user role grants access to run existing jobs only.

I would like to request a new user role that can create backup jobs and run them but not restore.

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - User Roles

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Sergio,

Valid request, thank you. Can you describe your case in details? Why not to add one administrative account, create backup jobs and then grant to your staff backup operator’s permission level?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

How often do you create backup jobs? Do you add new VMs to the job explicitly?
smurteira
Enthusiast

Post by smurteira »

So, the reason for the request is that we want to give our backup group rights to create backup jobs and run the backup jobs but we control the restores. For example if someone asks for a backup of a vm before they implement a change, the backup group would come in create the job and run it. If I have to create the job for them and all they do is login and click run, it kind of defeats the purpose. It would be more helpful if they could actually create the job. Or alternatively, allow me to create certain templates and then all they have to do is punch in the VM(s) they want to backup.

Thanks guys. I actually have one more feature request, but I'll open up another thread so it's logged with a different name.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Wouldn't the Quick Backup functionality answer your requirements? There's no need to create a job to create an additional restore point for the specific VM within existing job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

smurteira wrote:For example if someone asks for a backup of a vm before they implement a change, the backup group would come in create the job and run it.
What about using VeeamZIP or Quick backup functionality in the vSphere Client (web-based)?
smurteira wrote:If I have to create the job for them and all they do is login and click run, it kind of defeats the purpose. It would be more helpful if they could actually create the job. Or alternatively, allow me to create certain templates and then all they have to do is punch in the VM(s) they want to backup.
Where do they put these VMs? The reason why I ask this is that you could potentially create 2-3 backup jobs scoped to VM folders or any other container (for example, create job based on vSphere Tags). So every time someone creates a new VM, the corresponding backup job (containing this VM folder) is triggered via PowerShell script and both parties are happy.
smurteira
Enthusiast

Post by smurteira »

Sorry Vitaliy, I should have elaborated. This is for a clustered Hyper-V environment.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I see it now, my bad. What about controlling the restores process? Do you want to do restores FOR them or just would like to know what, who and when did the restore?
smurteira
Enthusiast

Post by smurteira »

It will probably be a mix of both. In a perfect world, what I would like to see is, give them control to create backups and run them but not restore of the VM, and, add an option to allow them to restore individual files from certain VM's. This level of granularity will only increase the value of Veeam for many people, because every environment if different and every environment has different needs. Thanks Vitaliy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

For auditing purposes you can use Veeam ONE (part of Availability Suite) and it's predefined report Restore Operator Activity which will give you the visibility you're after. As regards the backup process, then your backup teams could potentially use a PowerShell script to create and launch the job remotely, though I'm not sure if it is possible not to expose backup admin password in the script.

Thanks for the feedback!
smurteira
Enthusiast

Post by smurteira »

It would be a lot cleaner to have it done at the Veeam level, instead of adding all that overhead. I'm fighting to keep Veeam and I need these kind of features to keep it around because the backup support team is separate from our team. They want to use Symantec (yuck) to backup the environment.