Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dcampregher
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Diogo Campregher

How to copy the entire backup chain to another and different repository

Post by dcampregher »

Hello!!

The environment is this case has one WIndows Repository with 18TB and 22 restore points from 01 Forever Incremental Backup Job.

Keep in mind that this 22 restore points and 18TB of data are recorded with High Compression, In Line Dedup, Local Storage Veeam
configuration.

Now i need copy this entire chain to another repository, based on an CIFS Share of a HPE StoreOnce, so there are two questions that are causing confusion:

1) When i run the Backup Copy Job, it create a synthetic full at the destination side with the last restore point available. AND i need copy ALL the restore point ( 22 ) for the granular restore in any of this 22 days.

2) I know that i can use the simple copy from the NTFS source to de CIFS destination and after do the map backup. The PROBLEM is that the data currently in disk is incompatible with the other data already in the StoreOnce in terms of deduplication ratio. So, when i do the manual copy the StoreOnce can't do the better deduplication.

What i think about all this is: There is a way to copy the entire backup chain between repositories from inside Veeam ? If i can do this task in this way i believe that i can achieve higher deduplication ratios and save a lot of space...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: How to copy the entire backup chain to another and different repository

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Diogo,

Backup copy job is not intended to do what you want to achieve. It is a copy of the backup and has its own retention, full backups (synthetic or not) and so on...

The only thing you can do is follow this KB: https://www.veeam.com/kb1729
I know you said that is not an options for you because you talk about incompatibility? I am assuming that you talk about the fact that you have inline dedupe (which should be off on the storonce) Storage optimization and those type of settings? Is that correct?
dcampregher
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Diogo Campregher

Post by dcampregher »

Hi Mike.

Yes, the incompatiblity wich i said is the paramteters like in line Dedupe and compression used in the source repository that cause a Very low deduplication ratio in the storeonce when a do the manual copy.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Is there a way to leave he backups as is on the previous repository and start a new chain on the new repository? Then you can let the old backups get out of retention while building up the retention on the new repository?