Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
demon90k
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Shadie Carrier

Hyper-V / Cluster Failover Manager Failures

Post by demon90k »

I have had an ongoing issue for months now. I cannot express the sheer exhaustion I'm feeling from this issue now.

I thought I would come to the forums, and see if anyone else has been experiencing similar issues. When running backups on my 4 Node cluster, I am experiencing very strange behaviour.

Just some things to note:

I use software VSS (Not ideal i know, but i have my reasons for using this over hardware VSS at the moment)
DS3400 IBM SAN
and HS22 Blade Servers

When running a backup on Veeam, sometimes the 1st VM or sometimes the 10th, the whole cluster will become unresponsive. Infact, you cant even go into hyper-v manager, its stuck on "Loading Virtual Machines...." The only way i can get everything back online again is by forcefully switching off the hosts hosting the VM's. I opened a call with Microsoft and they cannot find the solution and believes its an issue with the Veeam software, as it works fine on DPM. Which I cannot argue with... because it does work. It switches the mode to Redirected Access and works fine for each and every backup.

Its very hard to troubleshoot as i have to shut down our entire infrastructure to test this, and im having to manually do this on a regular basis.

I would appreciate any kind of feedback on this as its causing me major issues.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Hyper-V / Cluster Failover Manager Failures

Post by Gostev »

What is your support case number for this issue?
Do you have the latest patch set installed?
demon90k
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Shadie Carrier

Post by demon90k »

Hiya gostev, thanks for the reply.

The only patch ive installed is the following : http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/K ... l:1:1/BSOD

We were also experiencing this issue, which was resolved from the patch. But, cannot see anymore i could install.

Can you provide a link? I havent raised another incident with support yet, but i will do shortly.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this is the latest one.