Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
sergio.reis
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sergio Reis

Hyper-V single host architecture

Post by sergio.reis »

Dear all

I am designing a very small, one single host environment, with Hyper-v 2012, only to run a couple of VM's for now, and I would like to use Veeam B&R to backup both to a NAS target connected to the host via iSCSI initiator, and to a tape autoloader, via SAS directly connected to the host as well.

Can someone tell me which is the simplest way to accomplish that?

My guess would be install the Veeam Backup Server directly on the physical host as well as the backup proxy. But I read somewhere I couldn't have the backup repository on the Hyper-v Server...

Can someone help? Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Hyper-V single host architecture

Post by veremin »

Can someone tell me which is the simplest way to accomplish that?
Install VB&R server directly on physical host and connect both devices to it (NAS, tape drive). Once everything is setup, create backup and backup to tape jobs.
But I read somewhere I couldn't have the backup repository on the Hyper-v Server
Will the said device store production data, as well? If so, it's not recommended, indeed, as it creates single point of failure. Should something happen with underlying storage, you will lost both production and backup data.

If it isn't the case and the device will store only backups, you can utilize it without any issues.

Thanks.
sergio.reis
Novice

Post by sergio.reis »

Thanks for replying.

The NAS will only be used for backup purposes. My only question was if I could use the Hyper-v host as Veeam Backup Server, Backup Repository and Backup Proxy all together.

Anyway I guess that even if I couldn't have the Backup Repository directly on the Hyper-V host for some reason, I still could use a VM as the backup repository.

And have the Backup Server directly installed on the host so that I could backup to tape right? Separate the two roles. It sounds about right...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

sergio.reis wrote:My only question was if I could use the Hyper-v host as Veeam Backup Server, Backup Repository and Backup Proxy all together.
No issues with all-in-one setup in case of such a small environment.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, with such a small deployment, you can stick to all in one scenario. Just make sure that on-host proxy isn't deprived on resources and can handle backup workload well. Thanks.
sergio.reis
Novice

Post by sergio.reis »

Thanks a million for all your help!

Regards
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should other help be needed, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks.