Hyper-V to VMware

Hyper-V specific discussions

Hyper-V to VMware

Veeam Logoby derekf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:06 am

I've just watched the "Veeam coming to Hyper-V" video.

I know it's not possible to give timescales or specific details in a public forum, however I was wondering if thoughts are being given on either backups from Hyper-V being restored to VMware or Hyper-V replicating to VMware.

Derek...
derekf
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Fage

Re: Hyper-V to VMware

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Derek, basically that's called V2V backups. As always, we are ready to add any feature for which there is high demand. Right now, the interest in this particular feature has been purely theoretical at most. Thanks.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2381 times

HyperV to VMware

Veeam Logoby mbekie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:34 am

[merged]

I couldn't find an answer on the forum or maybe it's a silly question, but I was wondering if it is possible to migrate a HyperV VM to a VMware VM using VEAAM?
mbekie
Novice

Full Name: Maurice

Re: HyperV to VMware

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:10 pm

No, you need to use VMware Converter to perform this operation.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby benwaynet » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:32 pm

Please add me to the list what would like the ability to V2V either MS to VMW or VMW to MS

I'm looking to make our Dev,Test,and DR hyperV and only prod VMW

thanks,jb
benwaynet
Enthusiast

Full Name: Jason Benway

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:26 am

Hi Jason, so what's wrong with those free V2V tools provided by both VMware and Microsoft to convert each other's VMs? Thanks.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby benwaynet » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:41 pm

We don't have our hyperV environment up yet so I'm not familiar with the V2V tools.
I was just hoping if I use veeam for replication I could replicate from my ESX to hyperV. Same with vms backuped up with veeam that I could just tell it during the restore if it was going to a ESX host or a hyperV host. Making it a one step process.
benwaynet
Enthusiast

Full Name: Jason Benway

Veeam Logoby htwnrva » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:01 am

I would like to see this too. This could allow us to lower our VMware budget but running our DR site on Hyper-V and replicating production VMware VMs over to it.
htwnrva
Enthusiast

Full Name: Ronny

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Ronny, trust me you would not want to do that. Migrating a VM from VMware to Hyper-V is complex, multi-step process with a lot of moving parts. You don't want to base your disaster recovery on such a complex process required during failover.

Besides, my understanding is that you do not have to license target hosts unless you actually run VMs on them (which only happens during source site disaster, in which case source hosts will not be running, so you can "transfer" those licenses from the source hosts to DR site hosts and thus still be compliant).
Gostev
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Vmware Vsphere to Hyper-V?

Veeam Logoby scrappy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Does Veem havea product on teh horison that will help migrate vmware images to hyper-v and/or back the other way?
We would like the ability for testing

Thanks
scrappy
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:46 am

Veeam does not, but both Microsoft and VMware provide such tools for free.
Gostev
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Using Hyper-V for DR

Veeam Logoby bbowers » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 pm

If I only have licenses for 3 ESXi hosts and back those up using VMware. Can I use a Hyper-V host to run backups from in an emergency or remote site that I replicate data to?

I'm not really sure how Veeam operates between the Hypervisors as I've always just used one.
bbowers
Novice

Full Name: Bump

[MERGED] V2V as a replica - Hyper-v to VMware

Veeam Logoby oshvitzon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:55 am

hi all
sorry if its a noob question as this is my first post but i couldn't find this documented anywhere since 6.5 .
my client runs a hyper-v server with 2 VM's , i am deploying another Physical server that i want to run on vmware and that the two vm's will replicate to the new machine daily.
hopefully at the end every server will run one VM and one Backup VM for load balancing.
all i found on V2V is one time tools that convert but not something that will backup and incerement the machines.

any suggestions ?

thanks in advance
oshvitzon
Lurker

Full Name: Ben Erez

Veeam Logoby peske » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Gostev wrote:Veeam does not, but both Microsoft and VMware provide such tools for free.

Actually it is not quite true. At the moment there's no Microsoft's tool for converting vSphere 5.1 to Hyper-V. And even if there is one, I would prefer Veeam over it. Finally both Microsoft and VMware do have backup tools also, but we are enjoying in Veeam Backup & Replication, right?

One vote for V2V

Thanks
peske
Novice

Full Name: Aleksandar Pesic

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:55 pm

peske wrote:
Gostev wrote:Veeam does not, but both Microsoft and VMware provide such tools for free.

Actually it is not quite true.

Well, it was absolutely true at the time when I wrote this (half a year ago) :D

Also, in case you are looking to perform large scale migration from VMware to Hyper-V, ask your Microsoft representative about VMMT. This is an automated VMware migration toolkit developed by Microsoft that is based on Veeam products. Current VMMT version uses Veeam B&R 6.5, so it does support vSphere 5.1.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V