Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Farazi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Faraz

Hyper V - VM's ; scheduling ; sql - need opinion

Post by Farazi »

Hey,

Currently we are using Veeam 9.0 update 2. We are a Hyper V environment

1. how many vm's are you guys backing up using Veeam. ( The reason I asked currently we are backing up over several hundred but we will b e adding more but I will run out of time to back up ; should i consider another Veeam backup server)

2. sql - is it best to add few sql servers on one schedule or do one sql server per schedule - (reason I ask i have multiple sql server on one schedule, it runs fine, but when one of the sql server has log issues i have to run a full backup to fix the issue, then I have to run a full on all the vms because it is associated to that schedule) any advise.
2b. how much overload will it be if i seperate all my sql servers to its own schedule, that means I will show 30 plus in running state constantly.

Thank you.

I am sure I will have more question soon, as i have stable environment but i would like to tweak few things here and there
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Hyper V - VM's ; scheduling ; sql - need opinion

Post by PTide »

Hi,

1. You should consider checking system requirements to make sure that the backup infrastructure can withstand such load.

2. That depends. If they have simliar RTO and RPO and contain comparable data then it's a good idea to keep them in one job for a better dedup ratio.
<...> but when one of the sql server has log issues i have to run a full backup to fix the issue,
Could you provide more details on that please?

2b. Please check system requirements for that.

Thanks