Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

In-Sync / Same-Time Replication

Post by SteelContainer »

Hi Team,

We have a request from one of our clients for a solution to replicate two of their VMs at the exact same time. To be more precise we need to take the snapshots of the source servers at the exact same time.

Other than using storage\hardware snapshots\replication, is there a way to enforce snapshots of all VMs in a particular job to happen at the same time?

The client has a SQL server and file server that run a critical application that would need to be exactly in-sync in the event of a failover. We are also evaluating other options but if there was something we can do with Veeam then that would be great. They are currently running on Hyper-V.

Thanks,
Cullan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: In-Sync / Same-Time Replication

Post by veremin »

Other than using storage\hardware snapshots\replication, is there a way to enforce snapshots of all VMs in a particular job to happen at the same time?
I can only think of sort of coordination process that being set as pre-job command will freeze any activity within both VMs. Even in this case, snapshots won't be taken at the same time - VMs states will be the same, though (I think that what you're trying to achieve anyway). Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The only way to do that is to shut down source VMs (except for integration with storage snapshots/hardware VSS) which I suppose is not acceptable. Think of VSS writers and providers that are inside the VMs, they would take different time to freeze each VM workload before creating a VM snapshot.
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Post by SteelContainer »

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.