Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
joelabs
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joe Labadessa

Instant Recovery from Veeam BR v10 to Hyper-V on Win2k19 Host

Post by joelabs »

Hello, I have Veeam BR running on a Win2k19 server and perform entire computer backups of an older Win2k8 R2 Standard server. I am trying to sunset & remove the older Win2k8 server and goal is to create a VM of this server on another Win2k19 server running Hyper-V. I am using Instant Recovery on the Veeam BR server to create a VM in Hyper-V on other Win2k19 server and this process works fine. No errors and the VM is created in Hyper-V on the Win2k19 host.

Before powering on or starting the new VM, I adjust settings to reduce memory down to 1024 (VM is created with 32Gb RAM) and reduce the CPUs from 8 down to 1. When starting the VM, I receive a BSOD with a disk error 0x0000007B, so the VM is not finding the boot disk. The odd thing is that this process worked in the past, however it is not working now. My goal is to get the VM running for the Win2k8 physical server and then migrate this server to a new Windows 2019 server as a VM.

The disk error looks to be caused by a missing disk or raid driver & I have tried various methods to load driver. I also tried to boot another VM using Veeam BR Recovery Media that was created on the Win2k19 server running VBRv10, then boot that media and attempt a Bare Metal restore. The Bare Metal restore is also not finding the disk units or raid driver; I am not sure how to get past this.

Again, there was a time in the past the Veeam Instant recover worked fine in this exact same scenario, however now it fails. I was expecting Instant Recovery to inject the proper disk/raid drivers to allow Win2k8 VM to boot. What am I missing? Do I need exact RAID driver of the Win2k19 Hyper-V host, or do I need to load the RAID driver from the Win2k8 Physical server? I am stumped. Please advise. I have also tried exporting VHD from the VBRv10 server backup on the Win2k8 server but VHD will not boot.

Any help would be appreciated and hopefully I am missing something simple here. Thank you,
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Instant Recovery from Veeam BR v10 to Hyper-V on Win2k19 Host

Post by PetrM »

Hi Joe and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

It does not look like you're missing something simple there, please open a support case and let our engineers analyze this technical issue. Also, you may share a support case ID over here for our reference.

Thanks!
joelabs
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joe Labadessa

Re: Instant Recovery from Veeam BR v10 to Hyper-V on Win2k19 Host

Post by joelabs » 1 person likes this post

PetrM, thanks for the reply. I will go that route & post if they come back with any resolution. I have another new Dell server that I plan to test this same process and use VBRv11; I have read that v11 does fix some odd issues so maybe that is my problem. Still running older v10. thanks again.