Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
jahilton2002
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: John Hilton

Is S2D actually supported?

Post by jahilton2002 » Aug 29, 2019 9:18 am

We have Veeam backup & Replication that we use/d to back up our standalone Hyper-V Hosts.

We have now added a 3 node S2D cluster (Server 2019) and want to use Veeam backup & Replication to back up the VMs on the S2D cluster.

Is this officially supported?

if not, I'm thinking of having my my S2D clustered VMs "replicate" to a standalone Hyper-V host (Server 2019) to which i'll back up the way i have been doing for years.

Is there any plans of added S2D support if there isn't support at the mo?

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 857 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Is S2D actually supported?

Post by Dima P. » Aug 29, 2019 11:05 am

Hello John,

To make sure we are on the same page, can you please clarify if you are referring to agent backup or VM backup (since it's agent backup sub-forum)? Thanks!

jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 » Sep 02, 2019 11:58 am

Oh sorry i've posted this in the wrong area.

Its VM backup sorry

jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 » Sep 17, 2019 10:38 am

Anybody successfully back up a S2D cluster?

I'm replicating from our cluster to a standalone Hyper-V and performing the back up from that.

The issue with this is, if i need to restore a file, it expects the VM to be online to restore. I have to do a "copy to" restore and then manually browse to the VM file server that's online to restore the files.

Am i doing this the wrong way?

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Sep 20, 2019 2:48 pm

Hello John,

Sorry for the keeping silence. Here is the recommendation from Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practices guide:
For Storage Spaces direct (S2D) Clusters only On-Host proxy mode is available because of the local storage used by S2D.

When configuring a hyper converged infrastructure based on Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct one limitation to know about is that a volume (CSV) hosting virtual machines is owned by a single node of the cluster at a given time. This implies that all IOs (including backup workload generated by all nodes) will be served by the single node owning the volume.

A good rule of thumb to avoid such potential bottleneck is to create a number of volumes (CSV) equal or 2 times greater than the number of nodes composing the cluster, spreading IOs servicing across all nodes.
The issue with this is, if i need to restore a file, it expects the VM to be online to restore. I have to do a "copy to" restore and then manually browse to the VM file server that's online to restore the files.
To make sure we are on the same page - you are referring to file level restore functionality, right? Thanks!

jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 » Sep 23, 2019 7:17 am

Yes in that recover instance it was file level restore functionality.

Thanks for the link i'll have a good read and report my findings.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Sep 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks for the clarification!
This is expected. File level restore is possible only to the original location (i.e. original VM), copy to can restore files to the server where backup browser has been started (i.e. Veeam B&R server or server with Remote Console). Additionally, you can specify path to the shared folder in the path dialogue (instead of selecting the local folder). Hope this helps!

jahilton2002
Influencer

Post by jahilton2002 » Sep 30, 2019 8:06 am

That's great thanks for your support.

Are there any guides to configure Veeam with a clustered S2D setup?

I'm backing up a replica at the moment, not the clustered vms directly.

Cheers and thanks again.