Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nevram
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Marven

ISAM Database backup

Post by nevram »

Hi All,

Is anyone using VBR to take application-consistent backups of an ISAM database? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences on how this works. One of our business applications uses C-ISAM and at the moment, we are only taking one backup per day when our users are logged off.

I am a bit nervous about using Hyper-V guest quiescence with pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts during trading hours, as this may lock users out of the system for longer than they can bear. I believe the only way to keep the backup application consistent is to lock the database from interaction completely.

Thanks for any tips. :)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: ISAM Database backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I have not heard of it and internet search gives different results for different technologies, so that it would be useful if you could provide a link to what you are using.

If that application does not support "online quiescence" and the scripts you mention lead to issues, then the only way for backup seems to be outside working hours. Shutting down the application is always a safe option for consistency, yes.

Best regards,
Hannes