Job warnings after upgrade to v7

Hyper-V specific discussions

Re: Job warnings after upgrade to v7

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 am

Simon, with all technical issues it is always recommended to open a case with Veeam support, since most likely logs investigation is required.

That said, I'm not sure you're experiencing the same issue discussed in this thread as your guest OS is Windows 2008 R2, not 2012 as in the cases reported above. What specific error or warning do you get in the job session log? Does the job fail to backup the VM? What Veeam B&R version are you on and does the VM guest OS have dynamic disks by any chance?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1082 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Simonx182 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:29 am

Error message is the following:

Unable to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Crash consistent). Details: Guest processing skipped (check guest OS VSS state and integration components version)
Veeam B&R Version 7.0.0.715 . No dynamic disks.

I've opened a case about 30 minutes ago for that case including all log files. We'll se what comes out there.
Thank you.
Simonx182
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Simon Tauber

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:57 am

It will be appreciated if you post your ticket number here, so that, we can follow the case and update the topic once the resolution is found. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 971 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Simonx182 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 am

Here is my Case Number: # 00464858
Simonx182
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Simonx182 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:18 am 3 people like this post

My "Unable to create snapshot" problem with the 2008 R2 Server VM and Hyper-V Server is now solved. Thanks to the great Veeam support engineer we found the problem quickly: It was the the configured ShadowCopies location on a partition of the failing VM. The Shadow Copies must be located on the same drive. After changing the location everything worked as it should.

The support engineer gave me this tecnical explanation:
the hyper-v vss writer has problems with this configuration - not the Veeam, since Veeam plays a role of the vss software requester and only triggers VSS provider and VSS writers (since, the same issue you'll see if you use any other backup solution - Microsoft DPM for example).

So, the shadow copy location should be on the same drive - this is a Microsoft limitation.

In the Veeam 6th we skipped guest processing (if it fails) and didn't crash the backup job itself - that was not a good solution. In the same situation the job will fail now.

Thank you for the great and fast support.

Regards
Simon
Simonx182
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 am

Simon, thanks for updating the thread with resolution, much appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Backing up W2012 Guest on W2008R2 Hyper-V Host

Veeam Logoby jorgene » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi,

Using Veeam 7 B&R for Hyper-V.

When trying to backup a W2012 VM i get this error.

Unable to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Crash consistent). Details: Guest processing skipped (check guest OS VSS state and integration components version)
Error: Guest processing skipped (check guest OS VSS state and integration components version)

I Think it's natural since W2012 have newer version of integration Components natively then W2008R2 has.
One workaround i have done is that i configure "Enable Hyper-V guest quiescence" on the backup job and remove "Enable application-aware image processing option" in the Job.
Then Veeam will take the VM into saved state and can successfully perform a backup of the VM.

But is there a way to take a backup with Enable application-aware image processing in this scenario?
(anyone aware of any updated integration Components to download and install on W2008R2 to match the version on a W2012 guest)?
jorgene
Enthusiast

Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Jorgen Eriksson

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Jorgen, please try the suggestions mentioned above in this thread. Should help.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JohnV » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Jorgen,
I have the exact same problem. I am demoing v7 (not yet a Veeam customer) and I cannot get application aware processing to work.

My entire environment is 2012 r2. I have Veeam running on 2012 r2 in a VM and no matter what I do when I enable application aware image processing I get the same error. I am not getting any VSS errors on the VMs, host or proxies.

If I set the job to ignore application processing errors then it reverts back to pausing the VM and backups complete without error. But with it set to require success then it fails. I can't tell if it is even asking VSS to take a snapshot of any of the applications. It all happens so fast that it seems like either a firewall or a permissions error.

Sure wish this thing worked out of the box. Looks like I can't get off of BackupExec just yet.

Bummer.

JV
JohnV
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: John Vollman

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:55 am

John, this thread is basically discussing the issue with backing up Windows 2012 guest running on Windows 2008 R2 host, which is not your case, if I understand you correctly. So I recommend you contacting technical support for investigation.

Btw, is there a chance that the failed VM has dynamic disks?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JohnV » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Foggy,
I originally had v7r2 installed on a 2008R2 box and was getting the exact same error. None of the registry settings mentioned had any effect on it.

I moved v7r2 to a 2012r2 VM with no change in the error.

To answer your question none of my VM's have 'dynamic' disks they are all 'basic' disks. There are 'dynamically expanding virtual disks' in these VM's but no one is saying that is a problem.
JohnV
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: John Vollman

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:24 pm

JohnV wrote:I originally had v7r2 installed on a 2008R2 box and was getting the exact same error. None of the registry settings mentioned had any effect on it.
I moved v7r2 to a 2012r2 VM with no change in the error.

Yes, because, once again, the original issue talks about backing up Windows 2012 VM running on Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V host. (Veeam B&R server OS is out of the picture.)

JohnV wrote:To answer your question none of my VM's have 'dynamic' disks they are all 'basic' disks. There are 'dynamically expanding virtual disks' in these VM's but no one is saying that is a problem.

Ok, then please provide logs to technical support for investigation.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:40 am

Code: Select all
03.02.2014 12:21:14 :: Unable to create snapshot (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) (mode: Crash consistent). Details: Guest processing skipped (check guest OS VSS state and integration components version)

Just wanted to add here that when you run Win2012 on Win2012R2 Hyper-V you have to update integration components as well. Normally this is automatically done by Windows Update, but for example if you can not update the VMs (lab environment) the easiest way is to mount c:\windows\system32\vmguest.iso to the VMs and start support\x86\setup.exe to update the integration services.
After that the backups run fine.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 360 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Previous

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V