Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
aspace
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Fundació Aspace Catalunya

Maintain the copy chain when moving virtual machines to another physical host

Post by aspace »

Hello,

I currently have a Hyper-v that has 5 virtual machines. I have a job that performs the backup of these virtual machines.
I have had to move these 5 virtual machines to another physical Hyper-v host. Later I changed the job to indicate the new host where the virtual machines are hosted. The problem is that he made a new set of copies for me. Is there a possibility of moving the virtual machines from the physical host and having Veeam 12 continue to maintain the original chain? Thank you.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Maintain the copy chain when moving virtual machines to another physical host

Post by Mildur »

Hello Fundació

A VM gets a new ID when moved to a another Hyper-V host. If you have added your Hyper-V server as standalone servers, a new backup chain will be started. Because the backup server sees a new VM ID.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Is there a possibility of moving the virtual machines from the physical host and having Veeam 12 continue to maintain the original chain?
Yes. When you add those two hosts to a Hyper-V cluster or you managed them with SCVMM.
In such scenario the ID of the VM stays the same and the backup server can continue the backup chains.

It's not possible with standalone hosts.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software