Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Rudolf
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rudo

MDaemon UIDL files with Veeam Backup

Post by Rudolf »

Hi

I've been having random problem since I started using Veeam Backup ver 7 (Not sure if it is related to Veeam but the timing is very suspicious).

On 20 August after backups rand all POP accounts on the mail server downloaded all the files in their Inbox - As opposed to only the new files since last download.
Happened again today 5 September.

According to MDaemon his will happen if the UIDL files are reset, or the files are changed in a slight way and the file reference in the UIDL file don't match - UIDL files seem to be very temperamental, as they should be.

Odd that it doesn't happen after every Nightly backup or during the day in the 2 hourly backup...

Is there a safer way / setting I could use for this particular server?

Hoping that someone might have had similar problem, maybe with other types of files (search for UIDL in this forum didnt bring up anything).

Thanks for your time.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: MDaemon UIDL files with Veeam Backup

Post by foggy »

Rudolf, since Veeam B&R does not touch files inside the backed up VMs in any way and taking into account the sporadic nature of the issue (that does not correspond with the backup schedule), I assume that this is indeed not related to Veeam B&R. Is there a chance that some other external activity caused this behavior?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Rudolf,

Can you please check the time zone on this VM? Is it in sync with the ESXi server time hosting this VM?

Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Moreover, I noticed that using UIDL is not recommended by MDeamon admin guide.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Assuming that this is Veeam that is a root cause of the aforesaid issue, did you have any special backup activities specified on this dates (20th, August; 5th, September)? Active full backups of whatsoever? Thanks.
Rudolf
Novice

Post by Rudolf »

Foggie - New to Veeam and inclined to agree with you. Nothing else should be doing anything to those files.

Vitality S.- Running on HyperV 2012, time is the same on both HV and VM.

d.popov - Searched for UIDL in the manual, only mention is not to enable logging for UIDL files
Rudolf
Novice

Post by Rudolf »

I did mention I'm new to Veeam right...

After vEremin post I went back to see reports for the nightly backup:
Got the following error:

Code: Select all

Error: Client error: The device is not connected. Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy248\vhds\postman\PostmanMailStore.vhd]. Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy248\vhds\postman\PostmanMailStore.vhd]." Exception from server: The device is not connected. Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy248\vhds\postman\PostmanMailStore.vhd]. Failed to read data from the file [\\?\
Missed the warning mails with all the old mails coming in and users moaning this morning.

Didnt get this on the 20th Aug, backup ran successful.

Will look at hardware and why the vhd did not pick up.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks like the cause of the issue. Hope you will nail it down shortly. Feel free to contact support if you need assistance in reading Veeam B&R job debug logs.