Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
MarkHoffman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Hoffman

Migration analogue

Post by MarkHoffman »

Hello, there.

Does Veeam have sort of functionality that might be helpful in case when hyper-V migration fails for some reason, say, mismatched hyper-v versions, incompatible processors, etc.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Mark Hoffman.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Migration analogue

Post by veremin »

Hi, Mark.

Yep. I believe, VeeamZIP should meet your expectations. It’s a very useful tool especially when you’re trying to perform one-time backup or migrate VMs between hyper-v hosts. In fact, it’s the exact use case of it.

Step-by-step process:

• Right-click required VM
• VeeamZIP it
• Restore VM to a new host

In addition, please be aware that you don’t have to be a paid customer to get this functionality, since it is available even in free VB&R edition.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
jlingg1
Lurker
Full Name: Jason Lingg

[Merged]Veeam ZIP vs VHD Copy

Post by jlingg1 »

I need to move a VM from a 2008 R2 Hyper-v server at one location to a 2012 Hyper-v server at another location. I have Veeam installed at the destination location. Can I just use Veeam zip to zip up the VM from the source location and restore it using Veeam at the destination? This VM has 3 hard VHD files. Any tricks or things to be aware of?

thanks
Jason
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Jason,

Yes, VeeamZip can be used in order to migrate VM from one Hyper-V host to another. It's just a matter of zipping/unzipping VM, so no additional consideration is needed.

Thanks.
MarkHoffman
Lurker
Full Name: Mark Hoffman

Post by MarkHoffman »

Hello,

I have additional question.

Is it possible to migrate a VM between Hyper-V 2008 R2 and Hyper-V 2012 R2 hosts, using VeeamZIP? As far as I’m aware, the latter uses different WMI namespace than former does. Wouldn’t this be problem? It certainly is for native Hyper-V export/import tools, as one can’t migrate VM directly to Hyper-V 2012 R2 without updating namespace to V2 first.

Mark Hoffman.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is it possible to migrate a VM between Hyper-V 2008 R2 and Hyper-V 2012 R2 hosts, using VeeamZIP?
Yes, it is. During restore process VB&R communicates with "target" host, understands used naming space, and implements it accordingly. Thanks.