Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

Missing drive in the backup of a VM -- used to work

Post by selva »

I am seeing something weird.
B&R 10 Community edition and HyperV 2019 running a single Windows Server VM. The VM has two drives (C: & D:) both backed by vhdx on a physical disk on the HyperV. Backup repo on NAS with direct disk access. Used to run great, test restores worked perfectly etc. Fore-ever forward with 14 restore points, one backup per day, just one Windows VM. Pretty simple stuff. There are few other jobs (linux VMs), copy backup etc. but those don't seem to be related to the issue below.

A test this week showed the D drive has been missing from the backup of the VM for about 8 days now. There are no exclusions, the drive is really there with about 350GB of data and veeam console still shows the job as that of a VM with estimated size of 358 GB which is right. Still the backups for 8 days have no D drive where most of the data is. Its there if go to earlier restore points. The incremental .vib's are small but that is expected as not much changes in this setup day to day.

This is a setup in the works and has been evolving. We had renamed the vhdx of the D drive at some point and reattached it but not sure whether the problem start date matches with that timeline. At that point disk1 and disk2 seems to have swapped places, but drive letters are same as before and same file data. We also had attached an additional disk with a volume (E:) briefly for a couple of days and that does show up in the backup during those days. And it would be surprising if such changes to a VM require redefining of the backup jobs set to backup the entire VM.

I have been troubling the support engineers with a couple of other issues -- far too many for a free setup like this --- so trying to troubleshoot this myself. Any pointers would help as wading through the logs is a slow process.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Missing drive in the backup of a VM -- used to work

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hard to say what was the original reason in such active to change test environment, but most likely it happened when you renamed \ switched places of vhdx.
Anyhow, to fix it, try to perform following actions:
- remove VM from the backup job and re-add it back,
- finalize wizard and hit "Active Full" under right click menu on the job.
- If disk will not be present again in such backup, it might be worth investigating. Let us know how it goes, please.
/Cheers!
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

Post by selva »

Thanks Egor, looks like its the vhdx rename that caused it. Just removing and re-adding the VM did not make a difference (probably because I mapped it to the existing backup files), but an active full has picked up everything. And the following incremental looks right too.

Yes, this is a system whose setup and backup testing going in parallel. Once it moves into "production", such changes wont happen and veeam has been rock solid otherwise. After major changes do an active-full will be my next mantra.. Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Great news that Active Full solved the case and thanks for feedback!
/Cheers!