Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dvasquez
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Diego Vasquez

Multiple restore points frequency

Post by dvasquez »

Good day.
I've set up Veeam to run backups once a week and to keep 24 restore points, that gives me nice weekly restore point granulariity that goes back 6 months in time. However, for the most recent week, I would also like to be able to have daily restore points.
I could do this creating a separate backup job, but that would more than double my storage requirement for a new .vbk file.
Any ideas?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Multiple restore points frequency

Post by foggy »

Diego, what Veeam B&R version are you using? GFS retention is available in the new v7 in the backup copy jobs (user guide, p.112). Otherwise you need to create separate jobs for each retention policy configuration. Thanks.
dvasquez
Novice

Post by dvasquez »

Thanks foggy, we are using veeam 6.x, we will eventually move to 7 but we do not know when.
Is there a way to create separate jobs that share the same .vbk (for storage requirements)?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No. Each backup job produces its own backup files.
dvasquez
Novice

Post by dvasquez »

Ok,
Suppose I change the backups to be daily now, and then create a batch file that is run at the end of each backup job once a week that moves only the oldest .vrb file to another folder so that they are not deleted by the Veeam expiration rule in the next run. I have now a folder that contains only the last reverse-incremental backup from each week.
My question would be then... If at a later date I wanted to restore from one of those "saved/moved" restore points, could I copy the .vrb file back into the original backup folder? How could I then have Veeam recognize it and add it back to the catalog?
Thanks again :)
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

This won't work. A VRB file is not a self contained entity, it is the representation of the incremental change from the prior VBK/VRB. If I have a chain of backups from Monday through Friday, and I want to go back to Monday, I need the entire chain of changes as I will effectively rollback through the days. If I missing and days in the middle, then the chain is broken and I'm stuck at that point.
dvasquez
Novice

Post by dvasquez »

Thanks tsightler, basic stuf.. I guess I was prey of some wishful thinking this morning.
Back to square one I guess.