Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
G@rry_
Lurker
Liked: never

Network overload on the hypervisor during backup

Post by G@rry_ »

I have two hypervisors with Hyper-v 2016 and difetent hardware. And have backup server with Veeam B&R 9.5U4. All servers are connected 1Gbit ethernet, but backup server connected to 100Mbit port.

When Veeam doing backup some one VM (with one single virtual disk), the copy process completely utilizes the hypervisor's network connection, and all other VM and the hypervisor itself become inaccessible over the network. It loads the network because the processor on hypervisor is idle, the queue on disks is increase, but not much. The network is fine, I can download any files from hypervisors and it not become network overload.

How to set up Veeam so that it does not overload network? There is no separate Ethernet port on the hypervisor for these purposes...
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Network overload on the hypervisor during backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I guess network throttling rules can help you

Best regards,
Hannes
G@rry_
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by G@rry_ »

Yes, it is working! Thank!

But I'm realy not understand, how backup server with 100Mbit ethernet can laydown hypervisor with 1000Mbit ethernet?.. :)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Garry,

Do you have your B&R server (or backup proxy) virtualized and running on a VM on the same hypervisor? If so, that may be the case.

Thanks