Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
BootIT
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Denton Bowles

New User and new user of Hyper-V

Post by BootIT »

Hi, I have installed my first hyper-V host on windows 10 x64 and made a windows 7 x32 VM. I have internet enabled it and service packed it. I think I should back it up! It has a 64 GB file in the default directory and nothing else connected to it. I can reach drive shares on the network for data storage or use a local SSD partition that I temporarily make offline on the host. I read the installation info on the pdf with veeam software download. Its not very helpful, just full of known fixes. Where shall I start? Do I just install it on the host and somehow make a backup pof the VM. I have a paid Acronis True Image Home product I have used since they started making that software to backup the windows 10 machine (host).
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: New User and new user of Hyper-V

Post by wishr »

Hi Denton,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

I'd recommend you to check our official documentation first, then explore our best practices portal - this will give you a basic understanding of the installation process and usage scenarios.

Answering your question, you may spin up a VM and perform a single server installation of B&R on it. While this is not the recommended approach (we recommend having B&R server installed separately from the virtual infrastructure you are planning to back up), it should be suitable for you.

Thanks,
Fedor
BootIT
Novice

Post by BootIT »

Hi, I am new

What is a "spin up a VM"

How do you do a "B&R server installed separately from the virtual infrastructure"
BootIT
Novice

[MERGED] New User

Post by BootIT »

I'm reading the complicated Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4 User Guide for Microsoft Hyper-V.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

I have reached Step 4. Specify Credentials. From the Credentials list, select credentials for the account that has administrator privileges on the Microsoft Hyper-V server. If you have not set up credentials beforehand, click the Manage accounts link or click Add on the right to add the credentials.

So what is a Microsoft Hyper-V server? Is it the local WIn 10 x64 PC I am using with the Hyper-V Manager? I usethe Manager interface to run a single Windows 7 x32 virtual machine with a single virtual drive file in the default directory on my Win 10 C: drive.

I am now reading about Credentials Manager as I don't understand this concept.
I work out that The Credentials Manager lets you create the following types of credentials records: Standard account (Microsoft Windows)

I look at Standard Accounts (Microsoft Windows)
I add the account I log into my Win 10 machine on as that is an Administrator. My password is not accepted by B&R.
No idea what going on? Anyone who can demystify this software would be most appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: New User

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Denton,
BootIT wrote:So what is a Microsoft Hyper-V server? Is it the local WIn 10 x64 PC I am using with the Hyper-V Manager? I usethe Manager interface to run a single Windows 7 x32 virtual machine with a single virtual drive file in the default directory on my Win 10 C: drive.
It is a Windows computer with Hyper-V role enabled, the one where all VMs are running. Did you enable the Hyper-V role on that Win 10 box or you have a dedicated Windows Server running Hyper-V?

Thank you!
BootIT
Novice

Post by BootIT »

Hi thanks for helping. I am using a Hyper-V role on that Win 10 box running my first ever Win 7 x32 VM as a 64MB file on C: Now I want to back it up.

regards

Denton
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: New User

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Denton, Veeam B&R does not support hypervisor running on the client OS (such as Windows 10). See this existing topic for more information. If you want to protect that single VM, then consider using Veeam Agent FREE edition. This agent needs to be installed inside your VM to create a backup.