Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

New Veeam Setup

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

So I have used Veeam for many years at prior employers, now I am looking to integrate VBR into a new environment. There are 2 businesses that share a common internet connection but not servers. Both server rooms are on the same physical campus, same physical links, separated with VLANS. My idea is I have CompA buy a physical box and I use that as VBR with internal storage. CompB buys the same box with internal storage and has its own VBR. This way CompA backs up all its data to its server and same with CompB. Now because the servers will be on opposite sides of the campus, I will set a backup copy job to send CompA backups to copy at CompB server and back the other way. So now I have 2 sets of onsite backups. Next step is where I need the help. CompA has the tape drive attached to it for offsite rotation.

Questions:
1) Can CompB send a backup copy job to a tape drive connected to CompA server?

2) If CompA crashes, can I use CompB VBR to restore CompA servers (keeping in mind there will be a copy of CompA backups on the CompB VBR server)?

3) Also can I setup each VBR server as the off host proxy to remove the load from the Hyper-V hosts (CompA = 2008 R2 and CompB = 2012)

Thanks for any help!
VMCE v9
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: New Veeam Setup

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
The plan looks fine in general.
1) Yes, you can backup to tape backups of both Servers. Just a correction that it will be not backup copy to tape, but backup to tape job.
2) Yes you can.
3) It`s also possible, but it`s recommended to set dedicated physical machine as a backup proxy rather than VBR server.
Thanks!
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Great info, thank you.

My reason for asking about the Tape is I had a conference call with a Veeam engineer and they said that the Veeam server had to be physically connected to the Tape Drive. So that would be CompA server. If that is truly required how would CompB VBR be able to do a backup to tape job to a tape drive not physically connected?

Thanks again!
VMCE v9
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You can connect the tape device directly or remotely.
In any case you can use Server A to perform backups to tape of both Comp A and Comp B, since you will have all backups there after backup copy from B to A.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Good point, thanks for the help!
VMCE v9
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome.
Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking!