Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
thomassmart
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Smart

Nimble Integration

Post by thomassmart »

Hi All,

I've not found any recently updated information from searching so thought I'd throw the question to the community.

I'm wanting to setup Veeam V10 and Nimble storage snapshots in a Hyper-V 2019 cluster. I understand that I'll need an off-host proxy (and already have that as part of the plan) but from what I've been able to find the Hardware VSS writer for nimble doesn't support data copy from the snapshot. For this reason, backup and restore of Storage Snapshots when using Hyper-V hosts, aren't available within Veeam. Direct SAN backup is still available, but you lose that storage snapshot goodness.

Has the VSS writer for Nimble been updated to resolve this? I've tried rummaging through the recent release notes without success. Does anyone have nimble storage snapshots + Hyper-V + Veeam working (I'd assume not)?

Cheers!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Nimble Integration

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Can you please share any source regarding to Nimble Hardware VSS provider can not be used fro reading from the snapshots? I think it is a base technology of the VSS framework.
It is maybe better to ask at an HPE forum for this inforamtion.

Anyway if you vould provide any reference to this we could contact HPE to ask them about this.
thomassmart
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Smart

Post by thomassmart »

Turns out I mis-understood. I thought that backup storage snapshots were available for Hyper-V infrastructure, if the SAN supported it. Turns out that backup/restore from storage snapshots isn't available at all within Veeam. :(
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Correct. It is a VMware only feature.
For Hyper-V we can do something similar to "Backup from Storage Snapshot" with the Off-Host Backup by leveraging the Hyper-V own VSS Hardware provider stack.
With the fokus switch of Microsoft towards Azure and Azure based on premises solution we switched our fokus towards these as well.