No offhost Hyper-V backup proxies are available

Hyper-V specific discussions

Re: No offhost Hyper-V backup proxies are available

Veeam Logoby nefes » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:29 pm

a) and b) are ok for you.
c) means that you need Hyper-V VSS Hardware Provider from PowerVault set up on all your cluster nodes and also on off-host. This is usually a separate installation from your primary storage vendor, that allows creating transportable shadow copies (snapshots of volumes, that are made on your production hosts and then "transported" to off-host for further reading). Some storage vendors requires separate license for using such software.
nefes
Veeam Software

Liked: 125 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Veeam Logoby ceez » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:38 pm

nefes wrote:a) and b) are ok for you.
c) means that you need Hyper-V VSS Hardware Provider from PowerVault set up on all your cluster nodes and also on off-host. This is usually a separate installation from your primary storage vendor, that allows creating transportable shadow copies (snapshots of volumes, that are made on your production hosts and then "transported" to off-host for further reading). Some storage vendors requires separate license for using such software.

Yes, I installed the VSS from the PowerVault. It's the same one that I installed on my 3nodes.

I received an update to my Veeam support ticket stating that PowerVault is not supported when it comes to using an off-host proxy, can you confirm/deny this? After questioning that thought from level2 support I've been asked to now gather a bunch of logs so it can be escalated even further up the tier. A little disappointed right now.

Also the LUN is present on the off-host and OFFLINE

And lastly - there are three missing updates that are not applicable to the computer. All my window updates are up to date.
ceez
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cesar

Veeam Logoby nefes » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:50 pm

I cannot neither confirm no deny this information right now, since have had no experience with PowerVault before.
For now the only thing left to check (if not checked with support before) is whether you see that hardware provider in VBR -> Backup Infrastructure->HV Clusters in Manage Volumes on your hosts and whether it is selected there. If it is not available - you may want to rescan hosts and check it again.

Meanwhile I'll try to get a little more information about PowerVault and will come back here with it (probably, at the beginning of next week).
nefes
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ceez » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:06 pm

This is what that setting looks like now

My single cluster and the 3 nodes.

I am re-scanning again to see if anything changes.

And here is the Microsoft Windows section:

What should I be looking for? You say hardware provider so I am thinking that I should see the powervault listed here?

and no, support didn't even bother doing much other than asking some basic questions. many years ago veeam support seemed more proactive, now it's just wam-bam-thank you ma'm
ceez
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby nefes » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Right-click on all nodes, select Manage Volumes and see, which provider is selected for your shared volumes. If not PowerVault one, check whether it appears in dropdown and try to select it. If there is no such provider at all - try to rescan hosts (also via rightclick).

If you see correct provider there, go to off-host properties, on first step hit Connected volumes - Choose, switch to Manual and hit Populate. You should also see list of your shared volumes there.
nefes
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ceez » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:24 pm

I see the Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider on the cluster volume, the dropdown doesn't have any other options.
ceez
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby nefes » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:08 pm

So the product don't see this PowerVault provider for your shared volume. Any chance that you have not configured credentials for your shared device after installing provider on hosts?
There should be some utility, that set up with provider, to do it.
nefes
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ceez » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:37 pm 1 person likes this post

An update to my situation which abruptly halts but not due to Veeam.

Spoke to higher tier support member and added a reg key on my Veeam server**:

Code: Select all
HKLM\SOFTWARE\VEEAM\VEEAM BACKUP AND REPLICATION\
RED_DWORD
UIShowAllVssProvidersForVolume
Hexadecimal=1
[i]**remember that YMMV[/i]

Then re-scanned the volumes on each of my 3 nodes.

The above key allows Veeam to see all the VSS providers and was able to choose the hardware provider vss SmVssProvider from the drop down of seen in my previous post picture which only showed Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider.

We ran a test job, this time it got farther but this time it failed with a different error:
[i]8/1/2016 1:59:46 PM :: Failed to create snapshot SmVssProvider on BKUP01 (mode: Crash consistent) Details: Provider [{24e4e8a3-69cb-4370-8b7b-c5276cd49765}] does not support shadow copies of volume [\\?\Volume{7dbbf4d6-370f-4e4b-868d-d332babc55d8}\].
--tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set.
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.

8/1/2016 1:59:57 PM :: Retrying snapshot creation attempt (Provider [{24e4e8a3-69cb-4370-8b7b-c5276cd49765}] does not support shadow copies of volume [\\?\Volume{7dbbf4d6-370f-4e4b-868d-d332babc55d8}\].
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.)

8/1/2016 1:59:58 PM :: Task has been rescheduled

8/1/2016 1:59:58 PM :: Queued for processing at 8/1/2016 1:59:58 PM

8/1/2016 2:01:03 PM :: Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Provider [{24e4e8a3-69cb-4370-8b7b-c5276cd49765}] does not support shadow copies of volume [\\?\Volume{7dbbf4d6-370f-4e4b-868d-d332babc55d8}\].
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.[/i]

this time since we got farther we were able to see the following event log on the node host at the same as the test job:

[i]Log Name:      Application
Source:        SmProvider
Date:          7/29/2016 1:20:35 PM
Event ID:      3020
Task Category: (2002)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      VSH01.local
Description:
The operation cannot complete because there are not enough free drives or free extents  to create the snapshot repository volume either in a new volume group or in other volume  groups. Please add more free drives and try this operation again. If the base volume is  in a diskpool, then add more free drives in the diskpool and try this operation.
[/i]

Note that this error is all over the application log, just never looked at the node log and if I did they just didn't coincide with the test jobs being ran.

My current PowerVault setup is one big raid 10 (OBR10) using all 12 drives - which sounded great at the time of implementation and I did see a performance boost on our VM's, but hindsight didn't say "hey you might need some extra space for Veeam and PowerVault snapshots *facepalm*
So since I have no extra empty hard drive space anywhere on my PV the snapshot process does not work when the off-host proxy tries to take that snapshot, I have a 10TB LUN with 5TB of free space within that LUN but the PV does not see that free space, it's just seeing that there are no empty non-configured disks for it to use for snapshot creation- and that's where my journey ends and dies, no off-host proxy for me (unless anyone has an awesome idea!!!!).

So if you have a PowerVault MD series, this is a limitation of the software/firmware of the unit. DELL support said that the Equalogic boxes have a setting somewhere where this would not happen (I can't confirm nor deny this).

One last question, so since apparently there's no snapshot taking place on my PV, does it mean that the Snaps are taking place on the node hosts themselves?

Thanks!
ceez
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes, snapshot is always created on the source host (Hyper-V) and then depending on the configuration either gets transferred to the off-host proxy or gets processed via on-host proxy.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby smartens » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:38 pm

This reg key worked for me - Thanks!
smartens
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steve Martens

Previous