Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
angelokbabi1987
Influencer
Liked: never

Off-Host Proxy Mode and LUNs Read access

Post by angelokbabi1987 »

Hello Community,

I want to use an off-host proxy to Backup VMs hosted in a Hyper-V cluster of 5 nodes.

All the 5 nodes and the off-Host Proxy are connected to an HPE 3PAR storage array, via 2 x 10 GbE switches.

I installed the VSS Hardware Provider on all the 5 nodes and on the off-Host Proxy as well.

As per the prerequisites of the Off-Host Proxy Mode, "The source Microsoft Hyper-V host and the off-host backup proxy must be connected to the shared storage through a SAN configuration. Make sure that the off-host backup proxy has read access to the storage LUNs."

My question is : if the Off-Host Backup Proxy has read and also Write access to the storage LUNs , is this a recommended configuration ? Is it a "Read" access that is required or "Read-Only" access ?

I ask that because it seems to be impossible to give read-only access to the LUNs in a HPE 3PAR System.

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Off-Host Proxy Mode and LUNs Read access

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

The access level might be specific to the storage vendor/make/model, so you'd better check with HPE on this. If I'm not mistaken, some other HPE storage lines also require read/write in this case. Veeam backup proxies need only read access.
angelokbabi1987
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Off-Host Proxy Mode and LUNs Read access

Post by angelokbabi1987 »

Thanks Foggy