Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RobMiller86
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Off-host Proxy with Dell SCv3020

Post by RobMiller86 »

Anyone get this working with this line of storage units? I've been having a fun time going back and forth between Dell and Veeam. It's really tough getting info.

It appears that obtaining a Hardware VSS Provider is a problematic request.
RobMiller86
Service Provider

Re: Off-host Proxy with Dell SCv3020

Post by RobMiller86 »

Well I finally got word back from Dell that I need to purchase the Replay Manager license upgrade to do this. Has anyone done that? Trying to decide if it's worth it to gain off-host proxy, and if it's reliable and effective.
RobMiller86
Service Provider

Post by RobMiller86 »

Crickets lol. So I'm thinking about purchasing the license. I've read here on these forums that on-host can be more reliable. Is that still the case? Anyone using off-host reliably with any storage?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

I use off-host proxy reliably with VMs stored on SMB shares, which does not require a hardware VSS provider. If you can get a trial license from Dell to test it out, I would do that before purchasing the license. Also, if you aren't experiencing any issues with performance with your backups using on-host proxy, then it may not be worth the effort.
RobMiller86
Service Provider

Post by RobMiller86 »

Thanks for your input. They offered a trial. I'm considering it. We are a service provider and host client servers. With a good amount of Remote Desktop users, they tend to complain about any performance issues. I was considering off-host since we backup fairly frequently and I wanted to minimize tickets from perceived freezes and such. I've heard that off-host is easier with SMB than iSCSI. Anyone else do it over iSCSI?