Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
a-ics
Novice
Liked: never

Powershell 2.0 & Sharing

Post by a-ics »

Hi everyone --

Our environment is a bare metal Windows Server 2022 Standard box hosting a few Hyper-V VMs. Our Veeam B&R server is a single purpose bare metal box, and is running Windows Server 2012 R2 (I know, I know)...

I've been going through our environment removing Powershell 2.0 on servers due to its potential vulnerabilities. I have a couple servers that have file sharing turned off entirely - they're just database / web servers, so there's no need for file sharing to be enabled. It seems that when backing up Hyper-V hosts, Veeam will try to use the Admin$ share, but if that fails, it will failover to Powershell direct - please correct me if I'm wrong. I have had file sharing disabled for ages on VM1 and it's backed up without issue until yesterday when I disabled Powershell 2 on that VM. It seems that I removed its "failover" to Powershell direct that it was likely using for quite a while since file sharing was disabled. To test, I re-enabled sharing on that box, and the backup completed without error.

So, my main question is: Are there plans to support a newer version of Powershell for backup of Hyper-V VMs? I'm surprised Powershell 2 is still being used. If I'm totally off base and missing something here, please let me know.
a-ics
Novice

Re: Powershell 2.0 & Sharing

Post by a-ics »

I should also mention that the VMs are running Windows Server 2022 Standard as well.
a-ics
Novice

Post by a-ics »

Just a little bump... can anyone shed some light on this?
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

the documentation says that powershell 2.0 or later has to be installed on the guest interaction proxy. So i guess, everything above should be fine.
a-ics
Novice

Post by a-ics »

That would have been my guess as well, but it still fails, even though a newer version of PS is installed...