I am running this on HyperV 2012.
Checked my VSS writers on the client. These seem to be OK.
Basically this is were it all started. This server is running on old version of Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 which doesn't have VSS.
I couldn't make a correct backup of this server with Veeam.
However, with the OCI components of version 11G one should be able to "enable" VSS support for this 10G database.
After strugling for many hours getting VSS to work with Oracle I decided to fall back to pre and post scripts. I do the same with MySQL databases by simply stopping and starting them during a backup.
I figured it would be too complicated to do this. I now realized I was wrong