Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mbraslavsky
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: W Matt Braslavsky

Pre & Post Scripts for Replication Job

Post by mbraslavsky »

Background:
Two Hyper-V hosts running on the same network, both attached to external disks
HV1 is the production server
HV2 is the replica server
Replication Job set to run every two hours (even hours; 0800,1000,1200,1400 etc.) and finishes in about 20 minutes from HV1 to HV2
At the top of odd hours (0900, 1100, 1300 etc.) we take the disks offline and perform a flashcopy to another set of disks not associated or recognizable by any server, only the appliance itself, outside of any Veeam process.

This process has been working great, until we did some maintenance over the weekend and the replication job kicked off at the top of odd hours, for which the disks were not available.

When I go into <job settings><advanced><scripts> it allows me to put in a direct path to a script I would like to run on HV2, but <browse> only allows for selection on the backup server, which is not HV2.

Questions:
Will the script run even though it was saved in the job but was not accessible thru the browse option?
Will the script be ran on the local machine the path points to or will it be ran from the backup server?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Pre & Post Scripts for Replication Job

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community.
Will the script run even though it was saved in the job but was not accessible thru the browse option?
Since it's VBR server what runs pre/post-job scripts, the path that you enter must exist and be accessible on the VBR server.

Will the script be ran on the local machine the path points to or will it be ran from the backup server?
The script will be executed on VBR and on behalf of VBR Service Account.

That is, in order for the script to perfrom actions on HV hosts, you should write the script in such way that it performs all required operations remotely.

Thanks!