Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Problems with creating VM recovery checkpoint ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hello guys,

today I upgraded one of our Windows 2016 Server (v1607) with Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 4a (Community Edition atm). The Windows Server 2016, on which VBR is installed, is up-to-date with latest Cumulative Update KB4103723.

Currently I do plain VeeamZip backups (as a test) from VMs running on another Windows Server 2016 (v1607) running Hyper-V. Most of the VMs can be VeeamZip(ed) without any problem, but I have one Windows Server 2012 (none R2) running as a VM on this Hyper-V 2016 host, that cannot be VeeamZip(ed) atm.

********************************************************************************

The error is as follows:
5/9/2019 10:44:40 AM :: Failed to create VM recovery checkpoint (mode: Hyper-V child partition snapshot) Details: Job failed ('Checkpoint operation for 'XXX' failed. (Virtual machine ID 2E5BA6AB-1277-4906-A063-C72BA3F9EFF5)

Production checkpoints cannot be created for 'XXX'. (Virtual machine ID 2E5BA6AB-1277-4906-A063-C72BA3F9EFF5)'). Error code: '32770'.
Failed to create VM recovery snapshot, VM ID '2e5ba6ab-1277-4906-a063-c72ba3f9eff5'.

********************************************************************************

If I create a Checkpoint on the Hyper-V Server 2016 on the VM, everything works fine.

Any idea, how to solve this problem? I already searched the forum but could not find a suitable solution or thread.

Best regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
bostjanc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: bostjanc

Re: Problems with creating VM recovery checkpoint ...

Post by bostjanc »

having the same issue.
Does it helps changing the checkpoint location of VM?
hyper-v manager / settings of vm / checkpoints menu and changing Checkpoint File Location to diffrent folder?
Does it help if you restart hyperv manager service on hyperv host?
Some of users say that they have solved it with reinstalling hyperv-daemons on linux level.
I think integration services could also be reinstalled on Windows OS.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hi bostjanc,

first of all ... many thanks for replying so fast and for some first hints. Unfortunately, the Checkpoint file location cannot be changed, as long as the VM is running, therefore no chance to test this instantaneously.

Restarting 'Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management" does not solve the problem :shock:

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Didi7,

Please create a support ticket for this (it doesn't matter that it is community edition) because this could be something that needs to get fixed.

Let us know the support ticket and the outcome after talking to the engineers
Thanks
Mike
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok guys,

I finally got the possibility to upgrade both Windows Server 2016 servers with the latest June Cumulative Update and a Checkpoint can now be created with Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 4a. As Windows 2016 supports RCT, I wonder if I still need to activate CBT in my backup job advanced settings in the Hyper-V tab?

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Didi7
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You still need to select the check box if you want RCT to be utilized.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello foggy,

wouldn't it be nicer to have an additional RCT check box instead. As far as I know RCT under Windows 2016 differs from the proprietary Veeam CBT for Windows versions under Windows Server 2016 or am I wrong?

Regards,
Didi7
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The only use case for this would be if you have both types of VMs in the job but want to use changes tracking mechanism for one of the types only - does this make sense? Otherwise, a single check box is fine - you just tell the job to use whatever CBT approach works for every particular VM.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, so if the CBT check box is selected and Windows 2016 is used as Hyper-V host, then VBR automatically uses RCT instead of the proprietary Veeam CBT?

Me at least wasn't sure, if RCT is used instead of the Veeam proprietary CBT-driver.

From the helpcenter manual …

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

No mentioning that RCT is used.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct. Applicable CBT mechanism is used if the check box is selected.