Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nevram
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Marven

Production site backup repo

Post by nevram »

Hi, I am new to Veeam and I'm currently trialling B&R, I was hoping that you could answer my design question.

Our goal is to take 1 x local backup to a backup repository at the production site and also to replicate to a DR site. Because we would like to replicate to a second location it would be best practice to install the backup & replication server at the DR location, meaning if we were in a full-blown DR scenario we could easily use the console to perform a failover.

With this in mind would it be OK to configure a NAS as a backup repository at the production site where the backups are written to, or would it be better to set up a new physical server here to run the backup proxy and repository on a single dedicated device?

We are backing up less than 10 workloads.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions,
Matt.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Production site backup repo

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Matthew, from a repository performance perspective physical server is preferred but you can go with NAS as well and use virtual proxies running on the source hosts and utilizing hotadd for data retrieval during both backup and replication. A dedicated server would also give you an option to replicate from backup to avoid hitting the original VM twice for backup and replication activities.
nevram
Novice

Post by nevram »

#please see below
nevram
Novice

Post by nevram »

foggy wrote: Sep 20, 2021 5:49 pm Hi Matthew, from a repository performance perspective physical server is preferred but you can go with NAS as well and use virtual proxies running on the source hosts and utilizing hotadd for data retrieval during both backup and replication. A dedicated server would also give you an option to replicate from backup to avoid hitting the original VM twice for backup and replication activities.
Hi @foggy, thank you for the response (and apologies for the belated reply!). That's some great information, thank you. We will look to go for a physical server as planned, I am now dubious of using a NAS as a repository as after a bit of research a lot of users have seen issues with this configuration, it sounds like we are much better off investing in a general use server with a dedicated RAID card to ensure reliability. The replica from backup option sounds great for us too.