Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
boe
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: boe dillard

Recommendation map a backup location or...?

Post by boe »

Hello,

I set up a VM with one purpose it is the backup server. The VM runs on a host server with a large empty partition created to be the storage location for backups. Should I fill it with a VHDX and attach it to the VM or is there a better way without turning it into a giant vhdx?
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Recommendation map a backup location or...?

Post by MichaelCade »

Is this VM on the same virtual environment as your production VMs or the VMs that will be protected by Veeam? If so then it is not recommended to use this VHD/VHDX method simply because if you were to have issues with the hosts/clusters you would be relying on the system to bring back this virtual machine. Your backup machine should be seperated and not reliant on the same system or source that you are protecting.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
boe
Influencer

Post by boe »

Hello,

I have 2 host machines - HOSTP which has the production hyperV guest VMs and HOST1 which is the failover that all the VMs replicate to but are offline. HOST1 has the extra storage so I would backup to it. I can put the backup VM on either server - the point of the backup is archive storage. I'm not terribly concerned about either machine getting damaged as we have replication. So my goal is the fastest backup.
MichaelCade
Veeam Software

Post by MichaelCade »

Ok as long as you have the configuration backup also going to your replication site that would help in regards to Veeam configuration.

fastest for backup is going to be on the same physical site.

but you could also consider for replication the Veeam management server could sit in the remote location (DR) so that if the production site was to fail then you still have access to Veeam to manage failover operations.

Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
boe
Influencer

Post by boe »

Thanks - we also have an offsite replication server. So we have HOSTP, HOST1 and HOST2.

The question is - should I run the backups from the production host to the storage which is on HOST1 or should I run the backup from the host1 which has the storage.
The second question is does it matter if I run the backup to a volume or a VHDX on that volume - either way the files will be in the same physical place - just one will be a mounted VHDX and the other will be a networked drive.
MichaelCade
Veeam Software

Post by MichaelCade »

My advice would be to follow the above architecture diagram, I would also suggest not placing backups on the production virtual environment if unless absolutely need be. Although at least if the environment was to fail then you could mount the VHD/VHDX on any windows box for recovery.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
boe
Influencer

Post by boe »

Our hardware is what it is and where it is - we barely have enough funding for VEEAM if it works we'll consider it. Right now we know Windows integrated backup works for us - so testing out VEEAM is to find out if it is better for our environment.

So for anyone can answer my question I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

boe wrote: The question is - should I run the backups from the production host to the storage which is on HOST1 or should I run the backup from the host1 which has the storage.
Hey boe, This is confusing? You can host the Veeam server on either host and in your environment you'd be using the Hyper-V on-host proxy mode, so as long as the Hyper-V hosts (proxy servers too) have access to the repository - VHDX or Share location - you'll be fine.
boe wrote:The second question is does it matter if I run the backup to a volume or a VHDX on that volume - either way the files will be in the same physical place - just one will be a mounted VHDX and the other will be a networked drive.
Either scenario you mention here would work but for me the decision lies in the performance of the network attached device. You can easily test out both scenarios to see which gives you the best performance. Now, if you decide to go the VHDX route my recommendation would be to make sure that it's a fixed VHDX and not dynamic. As Cade mentioned below, I would also recommend also adding a second repository on the replication host and use this for your configuration backup.

Hope this helps. Thanks.