Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Syed.Maseeh
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Syed Maseeh

Repository for HyperV backup

Post by Syed.Maseeh »

Hi All,

I would like to increase my repository size from 30TB to 40TB LUNs from DellSCv3000 FC Storage, are presented to the Veeam B&R server on win2012R2. However, i noticed the volumes are formatted at default NTFS, which is not allowing us to increase the LUN size at windows level. Is there any alternative to increase the volume ? so that we can increase the repository size.

Have few queries to design the Backup repositories.

1, Does Formatting NTFS volume cluster size effect the performance of backup? what is the best practice to format the volume on windows Veeam B&R repository.
2, Best practice to design repositories for HyperV2012?

Thanks and Regards,
Maseeh.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Repository for HyperV backup

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

NTFS volumes can be increased in size, not sure why you think they can't. Just keep them under 64TB. For NTFS volumes of that size, I would do 64K cluster sizes and enable large file records.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Repository for HyperV backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Syed,

First: Welcome to our forums
Second: nmdange is right, I see no reason why it is not possible to increase the lun and then expand the NTFS volume. After expanding the LUN, you will need to go to windows server disk management and perform the expansion over there.
For best practices, we have an entire Best Practices guide here: https://bp.veeam.expert/architecture-ov ... repository

Cheers
Mike