Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Paulo Balau
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Paulo Balau

Restore: Mount a Virtual Disk to users

Post by Paulo Balau »

Hi All,

I'm willing to mount a "virtual disk" over a certain restore point with general access so users can read it in order to make they own selection of files they wish to copy from themselves.

All I see are options to restore to new VMs (on our or on cloud infra), restoring entire disk to another location, or recovering individual files/foldes from a veeam restore session. All these options would require additional infrastructure resourses wich I do not have.

How may I get there?

All the Best!
Paulo Balau
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Restore: Mount a Virtual Disk to users

Post by Rick.Vanover » 2 people like this post

Hi Paulo: It's not documented, but one of the tricks our support team does is launch the file restore wizard on the Veeam Backup & Replication console - then "pull" files out via a UNC share. So, let me explain:

-VM being backed up is called SERVER2
-Veeam B&R Server is called SERVER1
-On B&R, launch a (Windows only) File level recovery of SERVER2
-From anywhere accessible on network with permissions (may have to assign), go to \\SERVER1\c$\VeeamFLR
-In there, normally it will be empty. But when a File Level Recovery is running (and the browser of the file system is open on the B&R Server), that UNC path will show the image backed up
-The users can then read to get their own files

--

That being said, it's a workaround, support trick type of thing. There are some capabilities coming for vSphere around self-service, but not applicable to Hyper-V if that is what you use.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

(Just remember to eventually close the File Level Recovery wizard on the console!)
Paulo Balau
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Paulo Balau

Post by Paulo Balau »

Thanks! I'll try it next week.
Anyway! May I suggest this as a feature request? It seeams to be almost done :-)